|Purpose||Use in other project|
Ladies Night is an initiative to bring more female members to the hackerspace, and to organise activities of interest to women.
- 1 Tech Inc Meetings
- 2 Links to other initiatives
- 3 Books, articles, references written by women
- 4 Bechas Writings
- 5 Role models
- 6 Links to resources and news
- 6.1 Increasing the gender diversity
- 6.2 Improving privacy and security
- 6.3 Gender gap in tech
- 6.4 Women and hackers
- 6.5 Gender Equality at Conferences
- 6.6 Feminism
- 6.7 InterSectionaity
- 6.8 Bitcoin community & gender
- 6.9 Gender gap in Science
- 6.10 Gender Gap in Engineering
- 6.11 Gender gap in Gaming
- 6.12 gender Gap in Movies
- 6.13 women in atheism & sceptic community
- 6.14 Sexism and harassment
- 6.15 Dealing with Harassment
- 6.16 Coding
- 6.17 Learn to code
- 6.18 The other way around: discriminating agains men
- 6.19 Misc
- 7 Gender Equality
- 8 Racial Diversity
Tech Inc Meetings
- Hackerspace Ladies Night, Episode 1 (8 February 2013)
- International Women Day 2013 (8 March 2013)
- International Women Day 2014 (8 March 2014)
- Ladies Night III (5 April 2013)
Links to other initiatives
- https://www.wikimedia.de/wiki/Ladies_that_FOSS (29.10.2016, Berlin)
- Hacking Feminism in LAG, Amsterdam, 2016: https://wiki.laglab.org/Hacking_Feminism
- Hacking Feminism in LAG, Amsterdam, 2016: https://wiki.laglab.org/Hacking_Feminism
- CCC camp https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/wiki/Session:IncreaseGenderDiversity
- Exhibition — IT began with Ada. Women in computer history, 2 September 2015 to 10 July 2016, Paderborn, Germany http://www.hnf.de/en/sonderaustellungen/preview-ada-lovelace.html
netggrls: "subscribe net-grrls" to Majordomo@wibh.net
Feminist Frequency @femfreq
- (1997! 1st CyberFeminist International @ Documenta X, Kasel, Germany: http://www.medialounge.net/lounge/workspace/cyberfeminisam/DOCS/1/participants.html)
- "Old Boys Network" http://www.obn.org/
- ICT's for feminist movement building / activist toolkit
- “Zen and the art of making tech work for you”
- Manuals with a gender perspective
- Gendering F/LOSS
- File:feminist principles of the internet.pdf
- The Ada Lovelace Day Education Pack -- to help teachers tackle the gender stereotypes that hold both girls and boys back, and to particularly address girls’ relationship to and confidence with STEM subjects.
- Using Card Decks in Teaching Computing Concepts or just ways to promote Women in CS : http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/wikipedia/cardsusing.html
- "Guiding Principles" = prevention of abuse and dealing with abuse when it happens: Lika_Guiding_Principles
- Lectures from a conference: No Permission No Apologies http://www.media.mit.edu/events/no-permission/overview
Jobs for women
Books, articles, references written by women
- Vesna's collection of Female_experts on:
alternative networks and commons | Critique of the mainstream networks | hackers culture & ethics & history & (hack)tivism | Technology & society, digital human rights & Internet Governance | engineering & networking | alternative economy, against capitalism | Climate Change | feminism
Very detailed list with names: https://wiki.techinc.nl/index.php/Ladies_Night/women_in_history_of_STEM
- http://www.notabletechnicalwomen.org/ // http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/wikipedia/cards.html
- Writing Wikipedia Pages for Notable Women in Computing http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/wikipedia/howto.html
- 2015: http://www.theguardian.com/guardian-professional/women-leadership-blog/gallery/2015/jun/22/10-of-the-best-female-role-models-in-tech-in-pictures
- 2016: https://medium.com/@internetsociety/the-brilliant-creative-gutsy-women-in-tech-b451e96b39a5#.3cyz2dlwz , http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-35705391
- 2016: http://n2women.comsoc.org/10-women-in-networkingcommunications-that-you-should-know/2016-10-women-in-networkingcommunications-that-you-should-know/
- Electra (mesh networking)
- Karin Spaink (journalist, activist, survivor)
- Ursula K. LeGuin (science-fiction writer)
- Heather Marsh (economist, activists, blogger)
And more WOMEN'S VOICES: Female_experts
Links to resources and news
Increasing the gender diversity
- Tips from CCC Camp2015 https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/wiki/Session:IncreaseGenderDiversity
- * Fiona's talk: https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/Fahrplan/events/6774.html & THE VIDEO: https://media.ccc.de/v/camp2015-6774-for_women_in_tech_do
- For example: free tickets for a conference: http://2015.arrrrcamp.be/blog/2015/09/23/arrrrcamp-2015-diversity-program/
- How to get more women to the hackahton: https://medium.com/hacker-paradise/how-we-got-47-female-applicants-for-our-hacker-retreat-430b8a13a6fc
- Be a better ally https://medium.com/girls-who-code/hey-men-just-wanting-more-women-in-tech-does-not-make-you-their-ally-307a3078893b#.bgmztm3lt
- "Be more Than Binary" - Deb Verhoeven: 'Has anyone seen a woman?', Digital Humanities Conference - 22 July, 2015, Sydney, Australia
- Have "exclusive" spaces: yes/no: http://thefword.nl/dayprogramme/not-your-room-tonight-panel-discussion-on-the-importance-of-safer-spaces-and-partial-exclusion
- Ally training by Valery Aurora:
- Slides: https://frameshiftconsultingdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/ally-skills-workshop-slides-europe.pdf
- Addressing the unconscious bias: https://rework.withgoogle.com/guides/unbiasing-raise-awareness/steps/watch-unconscious-bias-at-work/
- example : 4 out of 5 team members are women: https://medium.com/winnie-labs/when-women-engineer-b7bfd6837e58#.eq11bsa80
- Talk from Lynn Root (Spotify) at EuroPython 2015: https://ep2015.europython.eu/conference/talks/diversity-we-are-not-done-yet
Improving privacy and security
- https://re-publica.de/session/including-gender-new-approaches-privacy-and-digital-security (Tactical Tech)
- https://re-publica.de/en/session/deep-lab-art-and-hacking-post-snowden-age (Deep Lab was founded to examine how privacy, security, surveillance, anonymity, and large-scale data aggregation are problematized in the arts and society. The Deep Lab is an all women research collaborative who are an international group of new-media artists, information designers, data scientists, software engineers, hackers, writers, journalists and theoreticians. )
Gender gap in tech
- brogrammers may not be macho, but that’s not all there is to it// How French High Theory and Dr. Seuss can help explain Silicon Valley’s Gender Blindspots https://medium.com/technology-and-society/2f1fe84c5c9b
- Pros and cons for being woman in tech https://medium.com/startup-on-the-road/19ce929c9679
- "For some, "bro" culture offers one explanation for why there are so few women in tech"
- March 2014, Agism in Tech: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117088/silicons-valleys-brutal-ageism
- August 2013: Over-presence of incompetent men ;-) http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/08/why-do-so-many-incompetent-men/
- Women leaving STEM jobs http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/02/13/3287861/women-leaving-stem-jobs/
- the impostor syndrome http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/giving-women-the-access-code.html
- http://www.catehuston.com/blog/2014/10/01/male-allies-and-ghc/ (AND MANY MANY LINKS FROM THERE!!!!)
- Why are women leaving tech - GoogleDoc by Sue ... http://t.co/s14HKR4sPz
- Why women don't edit wikipedia: http://suegardner.org/2011/02/19/nine-reasons-why-women-dont-edit-wikipedia-in-their-own-words/
- motherboard 2016 april: https://t.co/aiYwNufHPi
- Tip: do blind auditions! "gender, race or even where applicants went to school aren’t part of the hiring calculus." http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-tech-firms-judge-on-skills-alone-women-land-more-job-interviews/
- It's not meritocracy
- Data centres.. http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2016/09/13/data-center-industry-problem-many-men/
- Male Privilege... https://medium.com/@tingeber/on-male-privilege-and-networks-437a1ad1e51e#.ap962w64d
- Outreachy -> also google-summer-of-code
- Ladies that FOSS
- Rails Girls Summer of Code
- Open Tech School
Women and hackers
- Dear hacker community we need to talk http://asherwolf.net/dear-hacker-community-we-need-to-talk/101/ December 2012
- Hacked Off ¨The hacker-activist community seems to leave no safe place for women. Rosie J. Spinks asks: Can it grow up?¨ https://medium.com/the-magazine/4c423793a831
- Forum with answers to the question: "how to get more women interested in participating in the hackerspace" http://ask.metafilter.com/267368/This-space-unintentionally-left-male-mostly
- Hacking the Gender Gap: http://www.thehacktory.org/?page_id=2234
- First (female) hackers http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/10810980/Female-codebreakers-reunited-at-Bletchley-Park.html
- Why am I not a maker: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/why-i-am-not-a-maker/384767/
- and a discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8935966
- Deep Lab http://motherboard.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-all-women-hacker-collective-making-art-about-the-post-snowden-age
- This is what a hacker looks like: http://linnytu.com/hacker
Gender Equality at Conferences
- November 2013: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/06/four-steps-to-put-an-end-to-all-male-panels-at-conferences
- "Congrats, you have an all male panel!" Hof award: http://allmalepanels.tumblr.com/
- How to invite more female speakers:
- November 2016: RIPE meetings!
- talk slides & video
- article! https://labs.ripe.net/Members/shane/measuring-diversity-at-ripe-meetings
- "sailor mercury @sailorhg : .@ghc you cannot claim to be for women in tech when you won't compensate your speakers for travel and lodging, let alone the cons ticket"
- February 2014, https://medium.com/p/6942d29d724 "How to talk about women, as a man"
- (reference to feminist theory within broader society&economy..) http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/26/caring-curse-working-class-austerity-solidarity-scourge
- 10 words all girls should learn http://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/10-words-every-girl-should-learn/
- Where is Feminism in Cyberfeminism? http://www.neme.org/392/cyberfeminism
- On the Idea of a Feminist Programming Language http://www.uncomputing.org/?p=303
- "feminism is a movement that seeks to achieve equal rights for women. This focus is necessary, because we live in a world of historically and culturally inscribed female disadvantage. "
- "Most of the feminists I know care about how gender inequality affects men. Of course they do – they're egalitarians. "
- Men: "You don't have to be a feminist. There are plenty of ways to be awesome without working towards equal rights for women."
- "please, if you are worrying about what feminism will do without you, stop. The feminist movement does not need you. It's doing a pretty incredible job of tackling female disadvantage without pandering to reluctant allies."
- Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/eascfa/about/
- Ursula LeGuin
- "Patriarchy has always had room for the Exceptional Woman—the one woman smart enough, sweet enough, strong enough, soft enough, pure enough, sexy enough to satisfy all of our culture's contradictory demands on women, and thus make it to the top of a sexist system on merit alone. Patriarchy needs that woman. She provides men with an excuse to blame women for their own pain and struggles while simultaneously assuring women that sexism only needs to be outwitted to be overcome. " http://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a41444/ivanka-trump-distraction/
gendered, hierarchical division between “production” and “reproduction” is a defining structure of capitalist society and a deep source of the gender asymmetries hard-wired in it. There can be no “emancipation of women” so long as this structure remains intact.
feminist ideas are being twisted to serve neoliberal, capitalist ends.
The solutions for women will not be found in parity in a trade economy. The answer is not that women should be paid, it’s that men should not.
International network for recognition & payment for all caring work, and the return of military spending to the community starting with women the main carers everywhere.
- "mere" equality is not enough https://aeon.co/essays/feminists-should-not-be-content-with-mere-equality
- No women in the boards of directors of these Dutch companies:
- Feminism Against Capitalism https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/02/aschoff-socialism-feminism-clinton-sandberg-class-race-wage-gap-care-work-labor/
- 23. February 2017, women & (other non cis-male persons) are making a "concerted effort to effect change through coordinated, massive, and direct action."
- This is making a point - diversity is not enough, and it may, in fact, be used to distract the attention form greater inequalities.. it's an economic & political struggle, not just "social justice" effort:
- it 's not enough to want men and women to be equal in an unequal system. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2016/12/i-ate-sushi-enemy-and-got-my-hope-back
- Work-life balance in Patagonia (child-care) http://qz.com/806516/the-secret-to-patagonias-success-keeping-moms-and-onsite-child-care-and-paid-parental-leave/
Bitcoin community & gender
- http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-anarchist-hacker-bitcoin-would-rather-not-talk-about (Amir Taaki)
- Not about gender, but Charlie Stross on why is BitCoin bad ;-) http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/12/why-i-want-bitcoin-to-die-in-a.html
- "how to explain bit coin to your mom" - hah! http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/02/business/dealbook/How-to-explain-bitcoin-to-your-mom.html
- January 2014: Women in Tech & Bitcoin http://suitpossum.blogspot.nl/2014/01/crypto-patriarchy-problem-of-bitcoins.html
- Women in Bitcoin: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140110.0
Gender gap in Science
- http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/unofficial-prognosis/2012/09/23/study-shows-gender-bias-in-science-is-real-heres-why-it-matters/ (September 2014)
- http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/priya-shetty/sexual-harassment-in-science_b_4102449.html (October 2013)
- Why aren’t more girls choosing maths and science at university? (March 2015) http://oecdeducationtoday.blogspot.fr/2015/03/why-arent-more-girls-choosing-maths-and.html
- Plagiarism!! https://merylalper.com/2016/02/22/please-read-the-article-please-cite-women-academics/
- Stephanie Ricker Schulte in her 2008 article “‘The WarGames Scenario:’ Regulating Teenagers and Teenaged Technology (1980-1984)” in Television & New Media,
- her 2013 book Cached: Decoding the Internet in Global Popular Culture,
- http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding // https://twitter.com/ZoggTheAlien/status/707334009475481602 /
- Also in humanities & philosophy: https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2015/jan/05/philosophy-is-for-posh-white-boys-with-trust-funds-why-are-there-so-few-women
- The Philosophy Force Five vs the Scientismists http://existentialcomics.com/comic/190
Gender Gap in Engineering
Women in tech are the canary in the coal mine. Normally when the canary in the coal mine starts dying you know the environment is toxic and you should get the hell out. Instead, the tech industry is looking at the canary, wondering why it can't breathe, saying “Lean in, canary. Lean in!” When one canary dies they get a new one because getting more canaries is how you fix the lack of canaries, right? Except the problem is that there isn't enough oxygen in the coal mine, not that there are too few canaries.
Gender gap in Gaming
- (Sept 2013) Gaming community, we need to talk: sexism is a problem: http://devinandrewwhite.com/2013/09/22/gaming-community-we-need-to-talk-again/
- and then GamerGate... enough said...
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAcdKTXtx1k Zoe Quinn , Crash Override -- a volunteer-run task force for victims and targets of online mob hatred.
gender Gap in Movies
women in atheism & sceptic community
- February 2016: http://qz.com/613270/brazen-sexism-is-pushing-women-out-of-americas-atheism-movement/
Sexism and harassment
* April 2017: This Twitter thread!!!! https://twitter.com/alicegoldfuss/status/850021431433846785
- An app for gender equality http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/27/natascha-mcelhone-casual-sexism
- "The Petrie Multiplier: Why an Attack on Sexism in Tech is NOT an Attack on Men" http://iangent.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-petrie-multiplier-why-attack-on.html (October 2013)
- Links to conferences with anti-haressment policy
- (October 2013) Nosiebridge anti-haressment policy : https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12cubewzlvsytecs23schrgxrrsy1nsy
- IETF anti-harassment policy http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/ietf-anti-harassment-policy.html
- Harassment in science/academia: http://www.wandering-scientist.com/2015/06/playing-game-rigged-against-you.html
- http://elephantinthevalley.com/ Feedback & Promotion, Inclusion, Unconscious biases, Motherhood, and Harassment & Safety.
It is time to focus the work on holding the men in charge accountable - not just trying to do things to “help women”.
- Announcing patriarchive.com A website addressing sexism and misogyny in the GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives, museums) sector.
- 2017: After Trump... http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/03/silicon-valley-tech-alt-right-racism-misogyny
Dealing with Harassment
- Guiding Principles
- Code of Conduct
- Policies & Rules
- [Hackers Ethics] Sharing, Openness, Decentralization, Free access to computers, World Improvement.
- Hackerspace example: mediation http://quelab.net/wiki/doku.php?id=policies:inclusivity#grievance
- Family: http://www.g-casa.com/download/Okonkwo.pdf
- Social work: https://web.csulb.edu/projects/ccwrl/Rice_module.pdf
- Non-Violent Communication for Conflict Resolution (NVC)
- "guides communities in choosing how they would like to respond to future conflict – proactively preventing or diminishing harm"
- BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE JUSTICE SYSTEM: AN INTRODUCTION TO RESTORATIVE CIRCLES http://www.cnvc.org/topics/conflict-resolution
- http://empathetictechnicalleader.com // https://leanpub.com/littleguide/read
Enforcement of Principles
- Example of clear description of consequences: http://wiki.lvl1.org/Bylaws#Violation_of_this_Policy
- "To my daughter's high school programming teacher" https://www.usenix.org/blog/my-daughters-high-school-programming-teacher (september 2013)
- http://www.cc4g.net/ Coding Club for Girls, UK
- lelacoders: https://n-1.cc/g/donestech+lelacoders
- Gendering FLOSS: http://libregraphicsmag.com/files/libregraphicsmag_2.2_lowquality.pdf (31 MB)
- Can This Children's Book Help Make The Internet A Better Place? http://www.fastcompany.com/3025659/creation-stories/can-this-childrens-book-help-make-the-internet-a-better-place
CODE documentary exposes the dearth of American female and minority software engineers and explores the reasons for this gender gap. CODE raises the question: what would society gain from having more women and minorities code?
- she++ works to empower underrepresented groups in technology by dismantling the negative stereotypes surrounding the industry. We aim to dispel the idea that computer science is not a career for women and minorities by rebranding what it means to be a technologist.
Learn to code
- "Hacking with the Tao": <http://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Zen_code
- "Clojure's Nightmod is a great IDE for game development and can be fun for learning https://sekao.net/nightmod/"
- ... but it's not enough: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/14/tech-women-code-workshops-developer-jobs
The other way around: discriminating agains men
- "Reverse sexism and reverse racism are not real" http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/goldsmiths-students-union-diversity-officer-says-she-cannot-be-racist-or-sexist-to-white-men-because-she-is-an-ethnic-minority-woman-10244520.html
- http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/ "WHTM tracks and mocks the New Misogyny online, focusing especially on Men's Rights, Men Going Their Own Way (MGTOW), and Pickup Artist (PUA) sites."
Women and Climate Change
- Gender equality in hunter-gatherer tribes: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/348/6236/796
"be vigilant, make yourselves trustworthy. Every day"
- An app for gender equality http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/27/natascha-mcelhone-casual-sexism
- Funny : https://bitbucket.org/FeministSoftwareFoundation/c-plus-equality
- John Oliver (2016) on International Women's Day: https://youtu.be/dNV7COWz8ME
- Sex equality can explain the unique social structure of hunter-gatherer bands