|Purpose||Use in other project|
Ladies Night is an initiative to bring more female members to the hackerspace, and to organise activities of interest to women.
- 1 Tech Inc Meetings
- 2 Links to other initiatives
- 3 Books, articles, references written by women
- 4 Bechas Writings
- 5 Role models
- 6 Links to resources and news
- 6.1 Increasing the gender diversity
- 6.2 Improving privacy and security
- 6.3 Gender gap in tech
- 6.4 Women and hackers
- 6.5 Gender Equality at Conferences
- 6.6 Feminism
- 6.7 InterSectionality
- 6.8 Bitcoin community & gender
- 6.9 Gender gap in Science
- 6.10 Gender Gap in Engineering
- 6.11 Gender gap in Gaming
- 6.12 gender Gap in Movies
- 6.13 women in atheism & sceptic community
- 6.14 Sexism and harassment
- 6.15 Dealing with Harassment
- 6.16 Coding
- 6.17 Learn to code
- 6.18 The other way around: discriminating against men
- 6.19 Women and Climate Change
- 6.20 Misc
- 7 Gender Equality
- 8 Racial Diversity
Tech Inc Meetings
- Hackerspace Ladies Night, Episode 1 (8 February 2013)
- International Women Day 2013 (8 March 2013)
- International Women Day 2014 (8 March 2014)
- Ladies Night III (5 April 2013)
Links to other initiatives
- https://www.wikimedia.de/wiki/Ladies_that_FOSS (29.10.2016, Berlin)
- Hacking Feminism in LAG, Amsterdam, 2016: https://wiki.laglab.org/Hacking_Feminism
- Hacking Feminism in LAG, Amsterdam, 2016: https://wiki.laglab.org/Hacking_Feminism
- CCC camp https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/wiki/Session:IncreaseGenderDiversity
- Exhibition — IT began with Ada. Women in computer history, 2 September 2015 to 10 July 2016, Paderborn, Germany http://www.hnf.de/en/sonderaustellungen/preview-ada-lovelace.html
netggrls: "subscribe net-grrls" to Majordomo@wibh.net
Feminist Frequency @femfreq
- (1997! 1st CyberFeminist International @ Documenta X, Kasel, Germany: http://www.medialounge.net/lounge/workspace/cyberfeminisam/DOCS/1/participants.html)
- "Old Boys Network" http://www.obn.org/
- ICT's for feminist movement building / activist toolkit
- “Zen and the art of making tech work for you”
- Manuals with a gender perspective
- Gendering F/LOSS
- File:feminist principles of the internet.pdf
- The Ada Lovelace Day Education Pack -- to help teachers tackle the gender stereotypes that hold both girls and boys back, and to particularly address girls’ relationship to and confidence with STEM subjects.
- Using Card Decks in Teaching Computing Concepts or just ways to promote Women in CS : http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/wikipedia/cardsusing.html
- "Guiding Principles" = prevention of abuse and dealing with abuse when it happens: Lika_Guiding_Principles
- Lectures from a conference: No Permission No Apologies http://www.media.mit.edu/events/no-permission/overview
Jobs for women
Books, articles, references written by women
- Vesna's collection of Female_experts on:
alternative networks and commons | Critique of the mainstream networks | hackers culture & ethics & history & (hack)tivism | Technology & society, digital human rights & Internet Governance | engineering & networking | alternative economy, against capitalism | Climate Change | feminism
Very detailed list with names: https://wiki.techinc.nl/index.php/Ladies_Night/women_in_history_of_STEM
- http://www.notabletechnicalwomen.org/ // http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/wikipedia/cards.html
- Writing Wikipedia Pages for Notable Women in Computing http://www.cs.duke.edu/csed/wikipedia/howto.html
- 2015: http://www.theguardian.com/guardian-professional/women-leadership-blog/gallery/2015/jun/22/10-of-the-best-female-role-models-in-tech-in-pictures
- 2016: https://medium.com/@internetsociety/the-brilliant-creative-gutsy-women-in-tech-b451e96b39a5#.3cyz2dlwz , http://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-35705391
- 2016: http://n2women.comsoc.org/10-women-in-networkingcommunications-that-you-should-know/2016-10-women-in-networkingcommunications-that-you-should-know/
- 2017: times list of "Firsts": http://time.com/collection/firsts/4921998/firsts-full-list
- 2017: Times "person of the year" = Silence Breakers! http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2017-silence-breakers/
- 2018: links are in this article : https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/i-spent-two-years-trying-to-fix-the-gender-imbalance-in-my-stories/552404/
"The journalist Christina Selby, writing at the Open Notebook, compiled a list of tips for diversifying sources. The journalist Mollie Bloudoff-Indelicato created Diverse Sources, a searchable database of underrepresented experts in science. 500 Women Scientists, a nonprofit, created Request a Woman Scientist, a similar (and larger) database. Both can be filtered by country, specialty, and more. Several scientists have compiled lists of women in microbiology, astronomy, physics, evolution, political science, neuroscience, and more."
- Electra (mesh networking)
- Karin Spaink (journalist, activist, survivor)
- Ursula K. LeGuin (science-fiction writer)
- Heather Marsh (economist, activists, blogger)
And more WOMEN'S VOICES: Female_experts
Links to resources and news
Increasing the gender diversity
- Tips from CCC Camp2015 https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/wiki/Session:IncreaseGenderDiversity
- * Fiona's talk: https://events.ccc.de/camp/2015/Fahrplan/events/6774.html & THE VIDEO: https://media.ccc.de/v/camp2015-6774-for_women_in_tech_do
- For example: free tickets for a conference: http://2015.arrrrcamp.be/blog/2015/09/23/arrrrcamp-2015-diversity-program/
- How to get more women to the hackahton: https://medium.com/hacker-paradise/how-we-got-47-female-applicants-for-our-hacker-retreat-430b8a13a6fc
- "Fixing the Gender Imbalance in My Stories (STEM) ED YONG FEB 6, 2018 https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/i-spent-two-years-trying-to-fix-the-gender-imbalance-in-my-stories/552404/
- "Be more Than Binary" - Deb Verhoeven: 'Has anyone seen a woman?', Digital Humanities Conference - 22 July, 2015, Sydney, Australia
- Have "exclusive" spaces: yes/no: http://thefword.nl/dayprogramme/not-your-room-tonight-panel-discussion-on-the-importance-of-safer-spaces-and-partial-exclusion
- Addressing the unconscious bias:
- Tips from GoDaddy https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/business/godaddy-tv-ads-sexism.html?_r=0 on how to fight sexism & increase gender diversity: have "unconscious biases" training
- " “The most important thing we did was normalize acknowledging that everyone has biases, whether they recognize them or not,” said Debra Weissman, a senior vice president at the company. “We had to make it O.K. for people to say, ‘I think I’m being unintentionally unfair.’”"
- example : 4 out of 5 team members are women: https://medium.com/winnie-labs/when-women-engineer-b7bfd6837e58#.eq11bsa80
- Talk from Lynn Root (Spotify) at EuroPython 2015: https://ep2015.europython.eu/conference/talks/diversity-we-are-not-done-yet
- Karolina Szczur Sep 8, 2017 Building Inclusive Communities https://medium.com/@fox/building-inclusive-communities-232dc01d1aba
- Karolina Szczur Feb 13 2018 Fundamentals of Effective Allyship https://medium.com/@fox/fundamentals-of-effective-allyship-468bd0afe89b
- Ally training by Valery Aurora:
- Slides: https://frameshiftconsultingdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/ally-skills-workshop-slides-europe.pdf
- Be a better ally https://medium.com/girls-who-code/hey-men-just-wanting-more-women-in-tech-does-not-make-you-their-ally-307a3078893b#.bgmztm3lt
Improving privacy and security
- https://re-publica.de/session/including-gender-new-approaches-privacy-and-digital-security (Tactical Tech)
- https://re-publica.de/en/session/deep-lab-art-and-hacking-post-snowden-age (Deep Lab was founded to examine how privacy, security, surveillance, anonymity, and large-scale data aggregation are problematized in the arts and society. The Deep Lab is an all women research collaborative who are an international group of new-media artists, information designers, data scientists, software engineers, hackers, writers, journalists and theoreticians. )
Gender gap in tech
- brogrammers may not be macho, but that’s not all there is to it// How French High Theory and Dr. Seuss can help explain Silicon Valley’s Gender Blindspots https://medium.com/technology-and-society/2f1fe84c5c9b
- Pros and cons for being woman in tech https://medium.com/startup-on-the-road/19ce929c9679
- "As a female tech entrepreneur.. in Silicon Valley.." (Sept 2017) http://briofinancial.com/sexism-and-sisterhood-the-yin-and-yang-of-being-a-woman-in-tech/
- "For some, "bro" culture offers one explanation for why there are so few women in tech"
- March 2014, Agism in Tech: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117088/silicons-valleys-brutal-ageism
- August 2013: Over-presence of incompetent men ;-) http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/08/why-do-so-many-incompetent-men/
- reason for the uneven management sex ratio is our inability to discern between confidence and competence.
- leaderless groups have a natural tendency to elect self-centered, overconfident and narcissistic individuals as leaders, and that these personality characteristics are not equally common in men and women.
- Most of the character traits that are truly advantageous for effective leadership are predominantly found in those who fail to impress others about their talent for management.
- Hitchhikers guide: It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job. https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/douglasada125021.html
- The result is a pathological system that rewards men for their incompetence while punishing women for their competence, to everybody’s detriment.
- Women leaving STEM jobs http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/02/13/3287861/women-leaving-stem-jobs/
- the impostor syndrome http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/03/science/giving-women-the-access-code.html
- http://www.catehuston.com/blog/2014/10/01/male-allies-and-ghc/ (AND MANY MANY LINKS FROM THERE!!!!)
- Why are women leaving tech - GoogleDoc by Sue ... http://t.co/s14HKR4sPz
- Why women don't edit wikipedia: http://suegardner.org/2011/02/19/nine-reasons-why-women-dont-edit-wikipedia-in-their-own-words/
- motherboard 2016 april: https://t.co/aiYwNufHPi
- Tip: do blind auditions! "gender, race or even where applicants went to school aren’t part of the hiring calculus." http://www.cbsnews.com/news/when-tech-firms-judge-on-skills-alone-women-land-more-job-interviews/
- It's not meritocracy
- Data centres.. http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2016/09/13/data-center-industry-problem-many-men/
- Male Privilege... https://medium.com/@tingeber/on-male-privilege-and-networks-437a1ad1e51e#.ap962w64d
- "SCIENCE DOESN’T EXPLAIN TECH’S DIVERSITY PROBLEM — HISTORY DOES" By Sarah Jeong and Rachel Becker Aug 16, 2017 https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/16/16153740/tech-diversity-problem-science-history-explainer-inequality
- Outreachy -> also google-summer-of-code
- Ladies that FOSS
- Rails Girls Summer of Code
- Open Tech School
Women and hackers
- Dear hacker community we need to talk http://asherwolf.net/dear-hacker-community-we-need-to-talk/101/ December 2012
- Hacked Off ¨The hacker-activist community seems to leave no safe place for women. Rosie J. Spinks asks: Can it grow up?¨ https://medium.com/the-magazine/4c423793a831
- Forum with answers to the question: "how to get more women interested in participating in the hackerspace" http://ask.metafilter.com/267368/This-space-unintentionally-left-male-mostly
- Hacking the Gender Gap: http://www.thehacktory.org/?page_id=2234
- First (female) hackers http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/10810980/Female-codebreakers-reunited-at-Bletchley-Park.html
- Why am I not a maker: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/01/why-i-am-not-a-maker/384767/
- and a discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8935966
- Deep Lab http://motherboard.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-all-women-hacker-collective-making-art-about-the-post-snowden-age
- This is what a hacker looks like: http://linnytu.com/hacker
- https://mothership.hackermoms.org, Berkley
- http://heartofcode.org/ , Berlin
- http://foufem.wiki.orangeseeds.org , Montreal
- http://www.miss-hack.org , Hobart
Gender Equality at Conferences
- November 2013: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/06/four-steps-to-put-an-end-to-all-male-panels-at-conferences
- #manel "Congrats, you have an all male panel!" Hof award: http://allmalepanels.tumblr.com/
- November 2016: RIPE meetings!
- talk slides & video
- article! https://labs.ripe.net/Members/shane/measuring-diversity-at-ripe-meetings
- May 2017: RIPE74: Workshop & plenary session on Increasing Diversity
- Diversity Task Force!
- Article on RIPE Labs https://labs.ripe.net/Members/agowland/diversity-discussions-at-ripe-74
- EtherPad for collaboration http://etherpad.tools.ietf.org:9000/p/ripe-diversity-tf-2017
- Mailing List Archives https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/diversity/
- "sailor mercury @sailorhg : .@ghc you cannot claim to be for women in tech when you won't compensate your speakers for travel and lodging, let alone the cons ticket"
- How to invite more female speakers:
- Conference by only women called KATIE https://katieconf.xyz/
- Check out these Ladies_Night#Organisations
- Tweet to these Ladies_Night#Twitter
- This: http://thewomensroom.org.uk/ and this:
- #NoExuses #STEM: https://docs.google.com/document/d/189_iwFQqnH9L2jN2UIHFBjj7frLXbRX7ucuk46J9e6I/edit#
- Geek Feminism and the health consequences
- February 2014, https://medium.com/p/6942d29d724 "How to talk about women, as a man"
- (reference to feminist theory within broader society&economy..) http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/26/caring-curse-working-class-austerity-solidarity-scourge
- 10 words all girls should learn http://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/10-words-every-girl-should-learn/
- Where is Feminism in Cyberfeminism? http://www.neme.org/392/cyberfeminism
- On the Idea of a Feminist Programming Language http://www.uncomputing.org/?p=303
- "feminism is a movement that seeks to achieve equal rights for women. This focus is necessary, because we live in a world of historically and culturally inscribed female disadvantage. "
- "Most of the feminists I know care about how gender inequality affects men. Of course they do – they're egalitarians. "
- Men: "You don't have to be a feminist. There are plenty of ways to be awesome without working towards equal rights for women."
- "please, if you are worrying about what feminism will do without you, stop. The feminist movement does not need you. It's doing a pretty incredible job of tackling female disadvantage without pandering to reluctant allies."
- "Don't call me a male feminist" https://medium.com/@zaron3/please-dont-call-me-a-male-feminist-f9526d75655d
- Elizabeth A. Sackler Center for Feminist Art https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/eascfa/about/
- Ursula LeGuin
- "Patriarchy has always had room for the Exceptional Woman—the one woman smart enough, sweet enough, strong enough, soft enough, pure enough, sexy enough to satisfy all of our culture's contradictory demands on women, and thus make it to the top of a sexist system on merit alone. Patriarchy needs that woman. She provides men with an excuse to blame women for their own pain and struggles while simultaneously assuring women that sexism only needs to be outwitted to be overcome. " http://www.elle.com/culture/career-politics/a41444/ivanka-trump-distraction/
- Anti-Trump: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/24/trump-women-female-candidates-pennsylvania-the-promise
- Mona Eltahawy I swear to make the patriarchy uncomfortable. And I'm proud of it. (The more a woman is caught in the intersections of oppressions, the more her language is policed.) https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/i-swear-make-patriarchy-uncomfortable-i-m-proud-it-ncna870736
gendered, hierarchical division between “production” and “reproduction” is a defining structure of capitalist society and a deep source of the gender asymmetries hard-wired in it. There can be no “emancipation of women” so long as this structure remains intact.
feminist ideas are being twisted to serve neoliberal, capitalist ends.
The solutions for women will not be found in parity in a trade economy. The answer is not that women should be paid, it’s that men should not.
International network for recognition & payment for all caring work, and the return of military spending to the community starting with women the main carers everywhere.
- "mere" equality is not enough https://aeon.co/essays/feminists-should-not-be-content-with-mere-equality
- No women in the boards of directors of these Dutch companies:
- Feminism Against Capitalism https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/02/aschoff-socialism-feminism-clinton-sandberg-class-race-wage-gap-care-work-labor/
- 23. February 2017, women & (other non cis-male persons) are making a "concerted effort to effect change through coordinated, massive, and direct action."
- This is making a point - diversity is not enough, and it may, in fact, be used to distract the attention form greater inequalities.. it's an economic & political struggle, not just "social justice" effort:
- it 's not enough to want men and women to be equal in an unequal system. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2016/12/i-ate-sushi-enemy-and-got-my-hope-back
- Work-life balance in Patagonia (child-care) http://qz.com/806516/the-secret-to-patagonias-success-keeping-moms-and-onsite-child-care-and-paid-parental-leave/
- This Moment Isn’t (Just) About Sex. It’s Really About Work. By Rebecca Traister (in THE BODY POLITIC DECEMBER 10, 2017) https://www.thecut.com/2017/12/rebecca-traister-this-moment-isnt-just-about-sex.html
"We live inside a system and we need to see ourselves as whole in a system that wants to separate us out into parts."
Bitcoin community & gender
- http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-anarchist-hacker-bitcoin-would-rather-not-talk-about (Amir Taaki)
- Not about gender, but Charlie Stross on why is BitCoin bad ;-) http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2013/12/why-i-want-bitcoin-to-die-in-a.html
- "how to explain bit coin to your mom" - hah! http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/02/business/dealbook/How-to-explain-bitcoin-to-your-mom.html
- January 2014: Women in Tech & Bitcoin http://suitpossum.blogspot.nl/2014/01/crypto-patriarchy-problem-of-bitcoins.html
- Women in Bitcoin: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=140110.0
Gender gap in Science
- http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/unofficial-prognosis/2012/09/23/study-shows-gender-bias-in-science-is-real-heres-why-it-matters/ (September 2014)
- http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/priya-shetty/sexual-harassment-in-science_b_4102449.html (October 2013)
- Why aren’t more girls choosing maths and science at university? (March 2015) http://oecdeducationtoday.blogspot.fr/2015/03/why-arent-more-girls-choosing-maths-and.html
- Plagiarism!! https://merylalper.com/2016/02/22/please-read-the-article-please-cite-women-academics/
- Stephanie Ricker Schulte in her 2008 article “‘The WarGames Scenario:’ Regulating Teenagers and Teenaged Technology (1980-1984)” in Television & New Media,
- her 2013 book Cached: Decoding the Internet in Global Popular Culture,
- http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding // https://twitter.com/ZoggTheAlien/status/707334009475481602 /
- Also in humanities & philosophy: https://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/2015/jan/05/philosophy-is-for-posh-white-boys-with-trust-funds-why-are-there-so-few-women
- The Philosophy Force Five vs the Scientismists http://existentialcomics.com/comic/190
- ... and gender gap in economics (kind of science..) https://www.businessinsider.nl/gender-and-racial-gaps-in-economics-are-hurting-everyone-2017-9/
Gender Gap in Engineering
Women in tech are the canary in the coal mine. Normally when the canary in the coal mine starts dying you know the environment is toxic and you should get the hell out. Instead, the tech industry is looking at the canary, wondering why it can't breathe, saying “Lean in, canary. Lean in!” When one canary dies they get a new one because getting more canaries is how you fix the lack of canaries, right? Except the problem is that there isn't enough oxygen in the coal mine, not that there are too few canaries.
Gender gap in Gaming
- (Sept 2013) Gaming community, we need to talk: sexism is a problem: http://devinandrewwhite.com/2013/09/22/gaming-community-we-need-to-talk-again/
- and then GamerGate... enough said...
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAcdKTXtx1k Zoe Quinn , Crash Override -- a volunteer-run task force for victims and targets of online mob hatred.
- We geeks are just better at being good people. We're better than the jocks, the cheerleaders, the socs, the hierarchically and socially mundane. We transcend bigotry. ... Or so the legend goes.
- So, when people tell stories about encountering bigots and creepers and gropers and various other elements in the gaming community, my reaction isn't to assume they are lying.
gender Gap in Movies
- 2018: Oprah's Golden Globe speech https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/07/movies/oprah-winfrey-golden-globes-speech-transcript.html
women in atheism & sceptic community
- February 2016: http://qz.com/613270/brazen-sexism-is-pushing-women-out-of-americas-atheism-movement/
Sexism and harassment
- Why I Am Not Speaking at OSCON - Coraline Ada Ehmke | July 11, 2018 https://where.coraline.codes/blog/oscon/
- CAN #METOO CHANGE THE TOXIC CULTURE OF SEXISM AND HARASSMENT AT CYBERSECURITY CONFERENCES? Ava Kofman June 19 2018, https://theintercept.com/2018/06/19/metoo-cybersecurity-infosec-sexual-harassment/
- "smart home"
- How to protect ourselves
- "WOMEN'S BODIES ON DIGITAL BATTLEFIELDS" https://tacticaltech.org/media/Womensbodies.pdf
- Security-in-a-box https://tacticaltech.org/projects/security-in-a-box-key-project/
- HAU / #hautalk
- Similar: https://www.chronicle.com/article/I-Worked-With-Avital-Ronell-I/244415
- "Structural problems are problems because real people hurt real people. You cannot have a cycle of abuse without actually existing abusers. That sounds simple, which is why so many academics hate it. When scholars defend NNN, in part this is because we cannot stand believing what most people believe. The need to feel smarter is deep. Intelligence is a hungry god."
- Sometimes analysis is simply denial with more words.
- A culture of critics in name only, where genuine criticism is undertaken at the risk of ostracism, marginalization, retribution — this is where abuses like NNN's grow like moss, or mold.
- "Personally, NNN may be a feminist,... but professionally, she is not a feminist scholar, any more than every person who believes that humans descended from apes is an evolutionary anthropologist. "
- Goodbye, Patriarchy! BY SPARROW, MARCH 2018 https://www.thesunmagazine.org/issues/507/goodbye-patriarchy
- Women are enculturated to be uncomfortable most of the time. And to ignore their discomfort.
- the flip side of a known psychological phenomenon called "relative deprivation," by which disenfranchised groups, having been trained to expect little, tend paradoxically to report the same levels of satisfaction as their better-treated, more privileged peers.
- we live in a culture that sees female pain as normal and male pleasure as a right.
- At every turn, women are taught that how someone reacts to them does more to establish their goodness and worth than anything they themselves might feel.
- One side effect of teaching one gender to outsource its pleasure to a third party (and endure a lot of discomfort in the process) is that they're going to be poor analysts of their own discomfort, which they have been persistently taught to ignore.
- "Brett Kavanaugh Defenders Are Sending A Message: Women Aren’t People"
- But in the case of men sexually assaulting women, it is as if the difference between the sexes is an unbreachable firewall of the imagination
- "In a lifetime of reading novels written by men, watching television shows and movies starring men, watching politics enacted by male presidents and their advisers, I have learned to breach that firewall, to empathize with a male protagonist. There are no tired excuses about men being inscrutable or unknowable, about men’s emotions being invalid, to lean on. That’s because men shape even our imagined worlds."
- how many women’s bodies, how much theft of their spirit, is worth one man’s career?
- We have turned our finely honed empathetic imaginations against ourselves, less willing to “ruin a good man’s life” than to seek any justice for the theft of our autonomy.
- But over the past two years ― two grueling and seemingly endless years ― there has been a violent upwelling, along with our pain, of anger. We have begun to remind ourselves, and our male counterparts, that the ghosts of our wills possess the power to haunt.
- no one’s reputation can outweigh his deeds, and that we are owed some remedy for our pain. We are fully ensouled, possessed of the same capacity for ratiocination and for love as men are
- We are reminding you at the tops of our voices that we are human, though you might never acknowledge it. We are pushing your hands from our mouths.
We owe no one our silence.
- what could be more terrifying than an angry, powerful woman, especially if you secretly care a little bit more about being comfortable than you do about justice?
- Sex is not the problem. Sexism is the problem, ...
- An attack on patriarchy, male supremacy, and sexual oppression ... is far harder to allow.
- Right now, if a man makes a mistake and hurts someone, it might, just for once, ruin his career — but it seems that if a woman makes a mistake and hurts someone right back, or allows her pain to be twisted to serve someone else’s agenda, she damns not just herself, but all other women by association.
- Jan 2018: the court case & response: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/11/discriminate-conservatives-james-damore-suing-google-intolerance
- “Don’t say that to me. Don’t do that to me. I hate it.”
- & criticism: https://twitter.com/audrawilliams/status/955166774085013507
- "Common danger responses by women include:fight, flight, freeze, appease, mend, tend, and befriend."
- Women! Reclaim your rage https://unbound.com/boundless/2018/01/15/women-reclaim-your-rage/
- The Power by Naomi Alderman (read that if you want to feel a powerful and healthy sense of righteous fury;
- ‘To respond with anything but fury when confronted with the realities of the world is to be inhumane,’ writes Eddo-Lodge.
- Audre Lorde’s essay ‘The Uses of Anger: Women Responding to Racism’, which was first published in 1981
- '...enormous betrayal by a friend she has loved dearly. She is deeply upset and angry… Her rage corresponds to the immensity of what she has lost.’
- "‘I had just never really known that you were allowed to be angry."
- 'advice to all the angry women of 2017 is: organise. join up with other women and use your voices.’
- I'm angry because things needs to change.
- In the middle of the day or night, rage fizzes up inside my ribcage. .. now I’m biting my angry tongue. I’m sitting on my angry hands so I won’t wrap them around somebody’s infuriating neck
- so many men are assholes. I am just so sick of it.
- I don’t always feel just one way. I’m not always sure. And maybe that’s what it is to be a grown-up—living in the middle place, where you can’t decide quickly about everything. A misanthrope, in love with the world.
- Mona Eltahawy What the world would look like if we taught girls to rage
- (I am an angry woman. And angry women are free women) https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/what-world-would-look-if-we-taught-girls-rage-ncna843511
- Teaching my daughter to say FUCK OFF: https://jezebel.com/helen-mirren-s-hypothetical-daughter-advice-don-t-take-858256085
- my anger is compassion. My anger is freedom. And feminism is freedom.
- Similar feelings to mine, about #partgate at TechInc: https://feministkilljoys.com/2018/05/30/the-time-of-complaint/
- Blog posts :
- The CCC: Men Who Hate Women https://blog.patternsinthevoid.net/the-ccc-men-who-hate-women.html & https://twitter.com/isislovecruft/status/945745179063062528
- After a Year of #MeToo Impacting the Hacker Community, We Still Have Far to Go (December 27, 2017 6:59 am) http://deviating.net/words/?p=821
- Behind Every Serial Abuser, There Are Many Enablers; Chelsea Komlo. https://firstname.lastname@example.org/behind-every-serial-abuser-there-are-many-enablers-491bf2303f82
- Caleb James DeLisle - 34c3 - All Creatures Welcome
- Mahsa Alimardani: "Tightening the Net in Iran: The Situation of Censorship and Surveillance in Iran, and What Should Be Done"
- Tramel Hudson : Resiliency of Social Systems (12:45)
- #MeToo and the CCC Congress # 34C3: Chaotic Computer Club http://www.taz.de/!5473646/
- Major Hacker Conference Organizers Accused of Ignoring Harassment, Enabling Abusers https://gizmodo.com/major-hacker-conference-organizers-accused-of-ignoring-1821631895
- Sarah Jeongs recent article, Vulnerabilities and exploits: what happened when the infosec community outed its own sexual predators https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/21/16807116/infosec-community-sexual-predators-weinstein-assault
- Unleashing chaos at Europe's biggest hacker convention https://global.handelsblatt.com/politics/unleashing-chaos-at-europes-biggest-hacker-convention-869709
- Developer Tells Her Story Publicly as Hacker Community Struggles to Address Sexual Assault https://gizmodo.com/developer-tells-her-story-publicly-as-hacker-community-1821652260
- Women criticize the Chaos Computer Club for its handling of attacks and harassment https://www.buzzfeed.com/pascalemueller/frauen-werfen-dem-chaos-computer-club-schwere-vers?utm_term=.rsr1Q7BBo#.oxrnPXwwG
- Hackers caught up by the issue of sexual violence http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2017/12/31/les-hackeurs-rattrapes-par-la-question-des-violences-sexuelles_5236320_4408996.html
- In Leipzig, a technological "utopia" caught up with reality http://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2017/12/31/a-leipzig-une-utopie-technologique-rattrapee-par-la-realite_5236325_4408996.html
- Chaos im Computerclub https://www.freitag.de/autoren/anne-roth/chaos-im-computerclub
- At Chaos, a chaotic response to assault allegations https://www.the-parallax.com/2018/01/04/ccc-chaotic-response-assault-allegations/
- VULNERABILITIES AND EXPLOITS: What happened when the infosec community outed its own sexual predators, by Sarah Jeong
- (* Morgan Marquis-Boire & Jake (again) )
- DAYNA TORTORICI: In the Maze: Must history have losers?
- the suffocating ubiquity of harassment and abuse; the election of a multiply accused predator
- “It’s an absolutely bizarre thing to go through, and it’s fucking exhausting and horrible, and I hate it. And I’m glad. I’m so glad we’re doing it. And I’m in hell.”
- I’m half-frustrated by men who can’t differentiate between harmless flirtation and harassment, because I believe that most women can.
- Part of it is the decades we’ve spent being pressured to underreact, ... Resentments accrete, mature into rage.
- “I stuffed all my harassment memories in an emotional trash compactor because there are just so many,” says my friend Amina Sow. “Now the trash compactor is broken, and everything is coming up.”
- We can rebuff the harasser; we can choose not to fuck the boss. But in a world where men hold inordinate power, we’re still in bed with the guy.
- relatively affluent white women in elite professions, women who’ve worked closely enough with powerful white men to be available for harassment. Racism and class discrimination determine whose stories get picked up and which women are readily believed.
- Because without real, genuine penalties on the line, without generations of men fearing that if they abuse their power, if they treat women like shit, they’ll be out of jobs, shamed, their families devastated — without that actual, electric, dangerous possibility: Nothing. Will. Change.
- this world is stacked in favor of men, yes, in a way that is so widely understood as to be boring, invisible, just life.
- He didn’t consider this because in a basic way, he did not think of us as equals.
- power structures that makes it harder for women to do work because the whole thing is tipped toward men.
- how butt-groping or unsolicited kissing can exist on the same scale as violent rape -- the thing that unites these varied revelations is... professional harm and power abuse.
- sexual harassment is ... a form of discrimination.
- the systemic disadvantaging of a gender in the public and professional sphere.
- white men, have been afforded a disproportionate share of power.
- women are evaluated aesthetically by men whose evaluations matter more than women’s work, in contexts that have nothing to do with aesthetics. (RIPE75, mat-wg!)
- these are still the terms on which we are valued, by our colleagues, our bosses, sometimes our competitors, the men we tricked ourselves into thinking might see us as smart, formidable colleagues or rivals,
- We don’t consider all the women who — driven out, banished, self-exiled, or marginalized — might have been more talented or brilliant or comforting to us, on our airwaves or in our governing bodies, but whom we have never even gotten the chance to know.
- if they did not speak out against ____, they would be tarred as self-interested hypocrites; if they did speak out against him, they would be viewed as self-interested executioners.
- None of this is simple; none of it is easy; it’s increasingly difficult to parse and to live through.
- Having this conversation as if it’s about sex, and not about equality, involves trauma and pain in its own ways: memories of the visceral fear, physical pain, emotional suffering of nonconsensual contact that so many of us have experienced, to one degree or another.
- beginning to dismantle men’s unjustly disproportionate claim to every kind of power in the public and professional world.
#MeeToo Salma Hayek & others
- "I had to confront my cowardice and humbly accept that my story, as important as it was to me, was nothing but a drop in an ocean of sorrow and confusion. I felt that by now nobody would care about my pain — maybe this was an effect of the many times I was told, especially by Harvey, that I was nobody."
- "I had a nervous breakdown: My body began to shake uncontrollably, my breath was short and I began to cry and cry, unable to stop, as if I were throwing up tears."
- Laurie Penny https://longreads.com/2017/11/07/the-unforgiving-minute/#more-97548
- "This is about structural violence, about a culture that decided long ago that women’s agency and dignity were worth sacrificing to protect the reputation of powerful men and the institutions that enabled their entitlement."
- "This is what happens when women actively place their own needs first. The whole damn world freaks out."
- (with many many links, to: "an extensive body of scholarship and activism, and they have been there this whole time for anyone who cared enough to pay attention. " https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/17/opinion/aziz-ansari-metoo-sex.html
- We’re All Mad Here: Weinstein, Women, and the Language of Lunacy: “He has demons.” The language of madness is the last resort for a society that can no longer deny the evidence of structural oppression and violence.
- It is easier to cope with the idea of sick men than it is to face the reality of a sick society;
- "By Sarah Jeong: SUSAN FOWLER’S UBER POST WAS THE FIRST SHOT IN A NEW WAR AGAINST SILICON VALLEY SEXISM" https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/16200106/susan-fowlers-uber-post-sexism-silicon-valley-women-problem
- “I’m not going to let you or your client make me feel in any way that this is my fault. Here we are years later, and I’m being blamed for the unfortunate events of his life that are the product of his decisions – not mine.”
- So we are watching her use her immense privilege, fluency and confidence to give them the words to understand and to fight against the inevitable crap they have faced, or will do.
- a framework for how to think about boundaries, how to contextualise the everyday micro-assaults they may have become deaf to, and how to take the stage with the confidence
- Women are also constantly forced to fight for proper recognition of and respect for their work.
- And yet she’s still got men trying to negate her achievements.
- August 2017: responses to Google's employee's anti-diversity manifesto / memo
- Taking Male Entitlement Seriously http://tim.dreamwidth.org/2035407.html
- And then, in October 2017, another massacre by a misogynist / abuser: https://qz.com/1094160/las-vegas-shooter-stephen-paddock-abused-women-just-like-other-mass-killers-in-the-us/
- And then, in June 2018, another shooting by a misogynist: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/29/mass-shootings-white-male-fragility-capital-gazette-maryland-misogyny?CMP=share_btn_tw
- And the novel "The Girl on the Train" (2015) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_on_the_Train_(novel)
- Engineering is not the art of building devices; it’s the art of fixing problems.
- the large bulk of your job is about coordinating and cooperating with other groups; making sure that dependencies and risks are managed, about designing the right modularity boundaries;
- Essentially, engineering is all about cooperation, collaboration, and empathy for both your colleagues and your customers.
- The truly hard parts about this job are knowing which code to write, building the clear plan of what has to be done in order to achieve which goal, and building the consensus required to make that happen.
- Nial Murphy https://www.usenix.org/conference/srecon17europe/program/presentation/murphy-postmortem (Diversity and Inclusion in SRE: A Postmortem)
- Taking Male Entitlement Seriously http://tim.dreamwidth.org/2035407.html
- SCIENCE DOESN’T EXPLAIN TECH’S DIVERSITY PROBLEM — HISTORY DOES - By Sarah Jeong and Rachel Becker Aug 16, 2017, 2:28pm EDT
- Jan 2018: the court case & response: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/11/discriminate-conservatives-james-damore-suing-google-intolerance
* April 2017: This Twitter thread!!!! https://twitter.com/alicegoldfuss/status/850021431433846785
- Violent attacks & stalking & police not doing anything http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2017/06/29/english_police_apologize_to_helen_pearson_who_reported_her_stalker_125_times.html
- After Trump...
- An app for gender equality http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/27/natascha-mcelhone-casual-sexism
- "The Petrie Multiplier: Why an Attack on Sexism in Tech is NOT an Attack on Men" http://iangent.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-petrie-multiplier-why-attack-on.html (October 2013)
- Links to conferences with anti-haressment policy
- (October 2013) Nosiebridge anti-haressment policy : https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z12cubewzlvsytecs23schrgxrrsy1nsy
- IETF anti-harassment policy http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/ietf-anti-harassment-policy.html
- Harassment in science/academia: http://www.wandering-scientist.com/2015/06/playing-game-rigged-against-you.html
- http://elephantinthevalley.com/ Feedback & Promotion, Inclusion, Unconscious biases, Motherhood, and Harassment & Safety.
It is time to focus the work on holding the men in charge accountable - not just trying to do things to “help women”.
- Announcing patriarchive.com A website addressing sexism and misogyny in the GLAM (galleries, libraries, archives, museums) sector.
- e.g. "He is sorry for your misunderstanding" https://lexgill.com/2016/06/06/three-hundred-and-twenty-four/
Dealing with Harassment
- Guiding Principles
- Code of Conduct
- Policies & Rules
- [Hackers Ethics] Sharing, Openness, Decentralization, Free access to computers, World Improvement.
- What to do instead of manspaining: https://medium.com/indian-thoughts/what-to-do-if-you-feel-the-urge-to-mansplain-97ea25eafcda
- "Conflict is Not Abuse" - http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/gender/2015/07/07/sarah-schulman-on-conflict-is-not-abuse-rethinking-community-responsibility-outside-of-the-state-apparatus/
- Hackerspace example: mediation http://quelab.net/wiki/doku.php?id=policies:inclusivity#grievance
- Family: http://www.g-casa.com/download/Okonkwo.pdf
- Social work: https://web.csulb.edu/projects/ccwrl/Rice_module.pdf
- Non-Violent Communication for Conflict Resolution (NVC)
- "guides communities in choosing how they would like to respond to future conflict – proactively preventing or diminishing harm"
- BUILDING A COMPASSIONATE JUSTICE SYSTEM: AN INTRODUCTION TO RESTORATIVE CIRCLES http://www.cnvc.org/topics/conflict-resolution
- The Empathetic Technical Leader : http://empathetictechnicalleader.com // https://leanpub.com/littleguide/read
- Patching exploitable communities https://medium.com/@flamsmark/patching-exploitable-communities-f44f3437038d#.scafos36g
- Accounting for Ourselves: Breaking the Impasse Around Assault and Abuse in Anarchist Scenes https://crimethinc.com/2013/04/17/accounting-for-ourselves-breaking-the-impasse-around-assault-and-abuse-in-anarchist-scenes
Enforcement of Principles
- Example of clear description of consequences: http://wiki.lvl1.org/Bylaws#Violation_of_this_Policy
Further Reading after 34c3
- "Taking Male Entitlement Seriously"
- "Male Privilege and Networks"
- On Trying to be Better Men Raphal Vinot Dec 7, 2017
- Accounting for Ourselves: Breaking the Impasse Around Assault and Abuse in Anarchist Scenes
- Code of Conduct Enforcement Warning Signs, by Otter Tech Diversity and Inclusion Consulting, Sage Sharp
- Sarah Schulman on ‘Conflict Is Not Abuse’: Rethinking Community Responsibility Outside of the State Apparatus
More about silencing
- Why Don't Survivors Speak
- 2017 Times "person of the year" = Silence Breakers!
- Rebecca Solnit on Breaking Silence as Our Mightiest Weapon Against Oppression
- Witches and how they are silenced
- Silencing Tactics
- "We owe no one our silence.
- "We are volcanoes. When we women offer our experience as our truth, as human truth, all the maps change. There are new mountains.
That's what I want - to hear you erupting."
- I am sick of the silence of women. I want to hear you speaking all the languages, offering your experience as your truth, as human truth,
- Ursula Le Guin's speech: https://serendipstudio.org/sci_cult/leguin/
- Online Bullying
- How about let’s have 2015 be the year that we stop looking for “rockstars” and stop tolerating “rockstar” behavior like people who constantly interrupt and speak over others because their “rockstar” opinion is just that damn important. If we all mindfully work to interrupt this interrupt culture, all voices can be heard, and everyone wins.
- When a woman speaks in a professional setting, she walks a tightrope. Either she’s barely heard or she’s judged as too aggressive. When a man says virtually the same thing, heads nod in appreciation for his fine idea. As a result, women often decide that saying less is more.
- "To my daughter's high school programming teacher" https://www.usenix.org/blog/my-daughters-high-school-programming-teacher (september 2013)
- http://www.cc4g.net/ Coding Club for Girls, UK
- lelacoders: https://n-1.cc/g/donestech+lelacoders
- Gendering FLOSS: http://libregraphicsmag.com/files/libregraphicsmag_2.2_lowquality.pdf (31 MB)
- Can This Children's Book Help Make The Internet A Better Place? http://www.fastcompany.com/3025659/creation-stories/can-this-childrens-book-help-make-the-internet-a-better-place
CODE documentary exposes the dearth of American female and minority software engineers and explores the reasons for this gender gap. CODE raises the question: what would society gain from having more women and minorities code?
- she++ works to empower underrepresented groups in technology by dismantling the negative stereotypes surrounding the industry. We aim to dispel the idea that computer science is not a career for women and minorities by rebranding what it means to be a technologist.
Learn to code
- "Hacking with the Tao": <http://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Zen_code
- "Clojure's Nightmod is a great IDE for game development and can be fun for learning https://sekao.net/nightmod/"
- ... but it's not enough: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/14/tech-women-code-workshops-developer-jobs
The other way around: discriminating against men
- "Reverse sexism and reverse racism are not real" http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/goldsmiths-students-union-diversity-officer-says-she-cannot-be-racist-or-sexist-to-white-men-because-she-is-an-ethnic-minority-woman-10244520.html
- http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/ "WHTM tracks and mocks the New Misogyny online, focusing especially on Men's Rights, Men Going Their Own Way (MGTOW), and Pickup Artist (PUA) sites."
- "Male nurses"
- It's about how the nursing profession is probably relatively safe in the short term from automation, and how we need a shit-ton of nurses, and how it is pretty well-paid. And also how 90% of nurses are women (in the US at least), and why that is. Only 8.5 minutes, but information-rich.
- things are not so different in other countries: https://goo.gl/vE2NaX (Shane)
- sexism in nursing: (John Hawthorne )
Women and Climate Change
- gender balance in festivals: https://femalepressure.wordpress.com/facts/facts-2017-results-3/
"be vigilant, make yourselves trustworthy. Every day"
- An app for gender equality http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/27/natascha-mcelhone-casual-sexism
- Funny : https://bitbucket.org/FeministSoftwareFoundation/c-plus-equality
- John Oliver (2016) on International Women's Day: https://youtu.be/dNV7COWz8ME
- Sex equality can explain the unique social structure of hunter-gatherer bands & tribes:
- White privilege / similar to "male privilege"
- what is being asked of you is to acknowledge that (white/male) privilege does exist and to not only to treat people of races that differ from yours “with respect and humor,” but also to stand up for fair treatment and justice, to not let “jokes” or “off-color” comments by friends, co-workers, or family slide by without challenge, and to continually make an effort to put yourself in someone else’s shoes, so we may all cherish and respect our unique and special contributions to society as much as we do our common ground.
- if you are as anti-racist as you like to think you are, then you won’t be scared of being LOUDLY anti-racist: https://medium.com/@realtalkwocandallies/the-white-allies-guide-to-collecting-aunt-linda-41c6a92ae864