Fifty Shirts of Gray
I have many geeky T-shirts that I love, they remind me of the events and places I was enjoying - but I can not wear all of them any more. I want to keep them, as a reminder, as a souvenir, as a trophy.
I have made the first T-shirts quilt in 2005, for "What the Hack" congress.
(this flag have in the meantime traveled the world... T-shirts_Hacking#Hackers_flag_goes_places )
In 2013 I wanted to have a topic, and, since geeky T-shirts come mainly in black and white, but, with age and nonchalant washing practices, they end up in being in the *Fifty Shades of Gray*.
Many people contributed their shirts, and I am grateful.
It took a lot of work: choosing, cutting, combining, sewing. I am happy and proud with the result!
Premiere was at "Observe Hack Make" festival, August 2013.
Thanks to everyone who contributed the T-shirts:
- (apologies if I forgot someone!)
The premiere showing of the flag was at OHM2013.nl , at NoisySquare.
at balconn2013.org, Hackers COngress in Novi Sad, Serbia, September 2013
Geeky T-shirts come mainly in black and white, but, with age and nonchalant washing practices, they end up in being in the *Fifty Shades of Gray*.
Quilt will be 5x10 field of patches of T-shirt cut-outs, ranging form black to white, and with 8 more columns in between.
It's happening at OHM!
T-shit-flag will be made prior or at this summer's Dutch hackers camping event OHM2913: http://OHM2013.nl
Please send your old, geeky, grey T-shirts to us!
Shipping address: Vesna , Singel 258, 1016 A'dam, NL
Work in Progress
First 25 shirts, modeled on the (h)ACTA floor, end-June 2013
- We might include some BDSM practices in the workshop, too ;-)
- ripping the t-shirts instead of cutting?
- making the blind-folds of the black t-shirts?
- mod shirts with zippers, nails, safety pins
- Get the "50 shades of grayscale" picture as a logo ;-)
- With this theme we should/could do something with leather
- leather wristbands with nails (e.g text TechInc)
- or wristbands with LEDs
- On the safe side: pillow, bag, sleeve, book cover, kite
- Becha (organiser)
Prior work examples
T-shirts_hacking - Workshop
T-shirts_Hacking - Project