Example Template Event
|Example Template Event|
This is the EVENT TEMPLATE & checklist for events organising, based on the previous experience of 3 NIMK events and few parties.
What do we need to do before the event:
- Decide on the date, place, topic, budget:
- FOUR WEEKS IN ADVANCE!
- Get people to commit to all the tasks, at least 2 weeks before the event: their name and how much time they want to put into this
- "Program" person: Dedicated person to contact the speakers, confirm their times, titles, material, special needs...
- "Space-contact" person: Arrange the place: contact the "owner", get the keys, arrange the payment (pay, get money back...)
- "Info" person (or team):
- Create event on Wiki
- Announce event to the members: 3 weeks before, and ask for volunteers
- Send reminder, 2 weeks ago, ask for volunteers
- If not all functions filled, cancel the event
- If going on, announce the event on FB
- Announce the event on other mailing lists
- Decide who will bring the "presenters laptop"
- Shopper: decide what to buy, in advance: publish the lsit, ask for comments
- Techician: make sure all the equipment will be there, in time, in working order
- Workshop Leader #1:
- state, on Wiki, when is the starting & ending time; how many people; what level of knowledge; topic...
- collect & inform the participants of your workshop yourself, or together with Info team
- make sure all the equipment that you need is transported to the space, installed, secured - the day before, or as much in advance as possible
- make sure you colect all your equipment afterwards & tidy up your space (with participants)
- Workshop Leader #2: the same!
- Security person - to make sure doors are closed properly, windows too, that no-one is on fire...
What do we need to BRING:
- Flyers of TechInc
- Laser pointer
- Ethernet cables
- Extra power strips
- Presenters laptop
- Beamer / projector (2 or 3, if there are none in the space already)
- A dish for collecting donations
- Plastic zip-bag for storing donations and receipts
- Rubish bags
What do we need to do during the event:
- Dedicated person for taking photos, and publishing them within 1 day
- Dedicated person to keep track of time and announce speakers
- Dedicated person to keep the schedule up-to-date
- Dedicated person to keep track of donations: count how much we have, collect them from the pot, keep them, collect recepits
- Dedicated person to order pizza/food
- "Supplies": Dedicated person to keep track of supplies: beer, vine, snacks, rubbish bags; and alert the "shopper"when we are low
- "Shopper": Dedicated person to do the shopping runs, 2 times during the event (or two persns, one run each)
- Dedicated person to answer the buzzer
- Dedicated person to open the space
- Dedicated person to close the space
- Dedicated person to come the previous day and transport things back from TechInc, or from people's houses
- Dedicated person in charge of organising the cleaning: during and after the event
- "Tech contact":Dedicated person in charge of the technicalities: cabling (VGA), electricity, operating 2-3 beamers+laptops, sound, music, lights
- New, optional: someone to tweet live from the event, announcing speakers
- New, optional: someone to follow IRC, relay questions to speakers
- New, optional: someone to record the event, or streem it live
- New, optional: someone to tweet live from the event, announcing
What do we need to do after the event:
- Tidy-up the space: cleaers & their team, volunteers
- TAKE THE RUBBISH OUT WITH YOU, WHEN LEAVING
- Tidy-up the finances: donations person, shopper person, treasurer
- Tidy-up equipment: technician person and the transportation team
What do we need to do NEXT DAY after the event:
- Dedicated person to come the next day and clean up
- TAKE THE RUBBISH OUT WITH YOU, WHEN LEAVING
- Dedicated person to come the next day and transport things back to TechInc, or to people houses
- "Space-contact" person: to return the keys, pay for the space and any outstanding expences... soothe any conficts with the space owner...
- Photographer to publish the photos
- Program person to ...
- Documentation-person to write a report & email to the members and all the lsits where this event was announced
- Everyone: to have a wrap-up meeting to see what went well, what went wrong; document it all for the next time
Lessons learned / tips:
- Person in charge of donations should announce every two hours: how much money we have collected; remind people to donate
- We could have a sticker on the door asking people to ring the _other_ bell, to not interrupt the speakers (this is NIMK specific)
- A timer widget: to e projected on the wall; resseted every time the talk starts;
either counting down from two minutes to zero; or counting up, but so that everyone can see how long is somone talking...
- Flyers: finished 3 weeks before the event, to distribute around the city, by ALL