|Skills||Brewing, Basic electronics, Not Being on Fire, construction, biology|
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Brew Days
- 3 Future Brew Days
- 4 People to inform about next events
- 5 Information and resources
Brewing beer is easier when you think.
There's a number of people in the space and other 'interested parties' who'd be interested in putting together a number of things to aid in the brewing of beer. A number of them have already brewed before; sometimes only from 'syrup', however, and not from 'full grain'.
The aim of this project is to get together a group of people and pick a date and place to bring a number of tools together and perform the brewing of a few batches of full-grain beer. Expect to learn how beer-brewing takes place, as well as be experiencing all the associated skills that go with it. It's likely we'll need to weld a stand for a burner that'll support a 50-liter brewing-vessel. We'll need to work on adjusting/tuning/extending the malt-mill(s). We might even venture into automatic temperature monitoring and regulation, etc etc. etc.
In other words; all the best things of all disciplines mashed up together.
3rd of October 2015
- Marnix (cancelled)
- Piele (present)
- Justa (present)
- Eduardo (came to watch)
We brewed a around 18l of IPA and 13L of dark dark stout. Expect more info about these brews.
Brew-day gallery is here
Note: the beers have been bottled and have been divided between Piele and Justa. Parties interested in trying them are invited to contact either person.
BeerBrewDay II - FirstOfMayBeerBrewDay - 2016-05-01
Yay! Beer Brew Day II is upon us!
We're going to go for a ServerRoom Saison; nicely kept at a high fermentation temperature by use of the electrons we recycle in our server-room ! (or is it the holes we're recycling....current is so confusing).
We'll be trying to bring a number of beers with us from the previous brew-day, as well as some personal brewing experiments from home. Likely, we might brew a second beer too; style yet to be determined. Suggestions welcome !
Some other highlights:
- New pully-driven barley-mill arrangement. Exciting amount of possible failure-modes !
- High-volume batch brewing with small-batch equipment. How to get the most out of your gear
- Invitation to people to bring their brewing-kits: let us help you brew your first/better beer!
- Guide into the entire process for novices
- Opportunity for asking questions about the finer points of the process.
More information can be found on FirstOfMayBeerBrewDay event-page!
2017-04-09 - Double trouble in Heemskerk
What did we make?
Batch 1: Serverroom Saison - ~162l
- Brew Length: 162L
- OG: 1.060
- Pilsner Malt - 85%
- Wheat Malt - 5%
- Table Sugar - 10%
- Single step 60min @ 67C. 5L/kg.
- Mash out @ 78C
- 383g - EKG @ 5.93% alpha. FWH.
- 217g - EKG @ 5.93% alpha. Aroma hops @ flame out
- Wyeast 3711, White transparant 60L FV @ serverroom.
- Danstar Belle Saison, White / Green 60L FV @ serverroom, 30L FV @ Piele's home.
- Mangrove Jack M29, 30L FV @ Piele's Home, 5Gallon keg @ Justa's home.
Measurements on 2017-05-02 at TechInc:
- Wyeast 3711: FG 1.003
- Danstar Belle Saison: FG 1.000
Measurements on 2017-06-09 at TechInc prior to kegging
- Wyeast 3711: FG 1.000
- Danstar Belle Saison: FG 0.998
Batch 2: "I don't know what it is, but it's dark and it's got Rye in it"
- Brew Length: 23L
- Target Gravity: 1.037
- OG: 1.042
- Pilsner Malt - 83.9%
- Rye Malt - 12.9%
- Carafa III - 3.2%
29g - EKG @ 5.93% alpha. FWH.
Irish Moss - 1 spoonful @ 5 mins boil.
S-04 Yeast, femented In Justa's bathroom.
Future Brew Days
- IPAv6 - ~6%
People to inform about next events
- 'Guy' (a colleague of Justa at XS4ALL
- Erwinsch (idem)
- SanderK (friend of Justa)
- Dreamer ?
- Jasper (colleague at XS4ALL)
Information and resources
- [www.brouwmarkt.nl/] The wellknown shop in Almere; used to be a drug-store in Amsterdam
- [www.vanderkooyjubbega.nl/] Newcomer; has some interesting products
- [www.hobbybrouwshop.nl/] Has some super-cheap items
- [http://www.bestbrouw.nl/] Another recent one
- [http://www.vinimare.nl] Vooral wijn/bier
- [http://www.candirect.de/Niederlaendisch/index.html] Duits maar goedkoop ?