This is a recipe for the Russian style shashliks I made for the 20180509 BBQ.
This recipe comes from Stephen Raichlen's Planet BBQ. (Dutch version, page 248-249)
The version I've made:
- 1.5 kg pork neck (procureur), cut into cubes roughly 2.5cm
- 3 teaspoons seasalt
- 3 teaspoons ground corianderseeds (ketoembar / cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 big unions, peeld and cut in quarters
For the 'Russion ketchup'
- package tomato sauce ( Heinz Tomato Frite, 330 ml)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 garlic clove, chopped very fine
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- pepper and salt to taste
The meat you prepare the night before:
- In a big bowl, add the meat, salt, coriander and pepper, and mix together
- Grate the union coarsely and scoop it through the meat.
- Cover with some layers of plastic foil, and keep in the fridge over night.
- Drain the mixture and throw away the marinade
- Put the meat on the skewers
- Grill it
For the sauce:
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl and bring to taste with the pepper and salt