User:Becha/Oceans of Data
Greenpeace Hackathon notes
28-30. November 2014
Goal: Save the Oceans
Sub-goal: Help someone in our community by exposing hidden information
- 1 Ideas
- 2 Facts Found
- 3 Electronic-logbook
- 4 By-catch
- 5 Open Data
- 6 Other Interesting Links
- 7 Pingers!
- 8 In the Media
- Crowdsourcing // mass participation
- make a survey/poll to request extra information from the crowds: about "monster boats"?
- Greenpeace could inform consumer association (consumentenbond, voedingscentrum) about "good" fish coming from these MSC certified fisheries http://www.voedingscentrum.nl/encyclopedie/msc.aspx
- Greenpeace could mobilize their millions of supporters to write to these consumer associations -- or to boycott buying "dirty" fish...
- Create a graph/diagram of all the companies that PP owns (like "open oil" graph!), and their contracts / customers...
- FOIA (requests)
- Request that IMDEA publishes where do they get the funding from
- Ask for court documents (if there was a court-case)
- Ask for (more) whistleblowers to come out from those companies!! (MSC, PP, BLE, NVWA, ships...)
- ... and make a crowd funding capping for whistleblowers! (dquinn)
- Share your data with others:
- Anti-corruption http://www.transparency.org/
- ... open-data repositories mentioned above
- Register your projects to http://socialtech.org.uk/
- Register "where is this vessel" on the "related projects" of OpenSeaMap http://www.openseamap.org/index.php?id=partner&L=1 & http://www.globalfishingwatch.org
- "improve" the photo gallery: http://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/uploadphoto/235010670
- invite friends to post on the social media pages of these companies
- ddos the harbor website as a "digital sit-in"
- invite activists to sign the petition to MSC - to request revocation of MSC certificate
- become a shareholder in one of those companies (if possible) and request financial reports
- explore the use of "pingers"
What can I do
- Show the Zembla documentary at the movie evenings (Citizen Kino, hackerspace...)
- Give a presentation at 31c3, and ask German hackers to help out with BLE!
- SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION!!! http://blacklist.greenpeace.org/1/vessel/show/229-jan-maria
Ask Investigative Journalists
...ask other investigative journalists to take an interest in tis story!
- Nafeez Ahmed (UK) http://nafeezahmed.com/
- Karin Spaink (NL) http://www.spaink.net/
- Brenno De Winter (NL) http://www.bigwobber.nl/
- Sisi Wei, ProPublica (USA) http://www.propublica.org/site/author/sisi_wei
FACTS FOUND: This is What I Found in these 2 days...
Electronic logbooks news: http://www.ble.de/EN/02_Control/02_Fisheries/ElectronicLogbook.html?nn=2307640
file missing: http://nvwa.nl/txmpub/files/?p_file_id=2001250
SW approved for logbooks in UK: E-Catch (Netherlands), Catchlog, Chartworx, OLRAC and Seatronics 3.1
1. Is there a legal obligation to make the data from electronic-logbooks available?
To whom —
a) To the general public (open governance data)
b) or to the journalists under Freedom of Information Act;
c) or under the cord order, in the investigation?
No throwing fish back overboard - to be implemented 2015-2019
Dutch law about bijvangst: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/NL/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32013R1380&from=EN
Cascading ecological effects of eliminating fishery discards http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2014/140513/ncomms4893/full/ncomms4893.html
.. and then there is workshop: "Workshop on Methods for Estimating Discard Survival" http://www.ices.dk/community/groups/Pages/WKMEDS.aspx
http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/visserij/documenten-en-publicaties/regelingen/2014/11/26/overzicht-visserijpartnerschapovereenkomsten.html & File:overzicht-visserijpartnerschapovereenkomsten.pdf
Other news about fisheries from Dutch Government http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/visserij/documenten-en-publicaties
OECD info about Fisheries http://www.oecd.org/tad/fisheries/
Specific case - Jan Maria
http://blacklist.greenpeace.org/1/vessel/show/229-jan-maria -> SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION!!!
Parlevliet en Van der Plas
http://blacklist.greenpeace.org/1/company/show/133-parlevliet-en-van-der-plas-bv -> SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION!
Acquired one more company: Heiploeg International: http://www.pp-group.nl/news/tabid/288/ID/4/Parlevliet-Van-der-Plas-new-owners-of-Heiploeg.aspx
- FOIA requests
- German Environmental Law http://www.legislationline.org/documents/action/popup/id/6753
- FOIA Hamburg http://www.right2info.org/resources/publications/laws-1/laws_hamburg_eng
- Other laws: http://www.right2info.org/laws/
- Other organizations: http://www.right2info.org/resources/ngos-information-commission-ers-and-other
- Laws per country: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_information_laws_by_country
- Legal Leaks toolkit: http://www.legalleaks.info/toolkit/what-is-the-toolkit.html
- FOIA requests generator for UK: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/
About Maritime Biology, Fisheries
- i-Marine: http://www.i-marine.eu/Pages/Home.aspx
- Data Sources http://www.i-marine.eu/Content/OurServices.aspx?id=599ee2b9-de2e-4ab2-80ee-808a9a973b13&li=0
- Gateway: gCube Virtual Environment (blah blah) https://i-marine.d4science.org/web/guest%3bjsessionid=0B79FC466B725BB7467B40A7A4A586D5
- (maybe not really open...)
- Maritime & Seabed Maps & Charts & Satellite images of Earth https://www.iscpc.org/information/marine-resources/maps-and-charts/
About ships & sailing
- European Universities Institute http://www.eui.eu/Projects/EUIdatarepository/Home.aspx
- Micro Socioeconomic Data http://www.eui.eu/Research/Library/ResearchGuides/Economics/Statistics/MicroDataSet.aspx
Companies / corporate information
European database containing aggregate information on non-financial companies https://www.bach.banque-france.fr/?lang=en
LittleSis: a free database of who-knows-who at the heights of business and government https://exposingtheinvisible.org/resources/obtaining-evidence/littlesis/
- European (EU) statistics portal http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/eurostat/home/
- Poplus: a global federation for civic tech -- Sharing technology to help civic and democratic projects… everywhere
- e-LICO: An e-Laboratory for Interdisciplinary Collaborative Research in Data Mining and Data-Intensive Science http://www.e-lico.eu/
- the Registry of Research Data Repositories http://www.re3data.org/
to look into it further
Other Interesting Links
- Graph of Shell subsidiaries & Nigeria connections: https://data.openoil.net/#nigeria_production
- Ocean acidification http://www.google.com/earth/explore/showcase/ocean.html#tab=ocean-acidification http://www.ocean-acidification.net/
- PubLeaks -- leaking to Dutch Media -- https://www.publeaks.nl/index.html
- Legal Leaks Toolkit File:legal leaks nov 2011_impresion.pdf
- Empowering citizens (crowdsourcing) http://mysociety.org/
- Tactical Tech: https://tacticaltech.org/
European Commission regulation: Compulsory acoustic devices or 'pingers' required on fishing vessels over 12 metres using fixed gear in the North Sea, Channel and Celtic Sea
In the Media
- Cornelis Vrolijk http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854348/One-Dutch-trawler-gets-quarter-England-s-entire-fish-quota-English-fishermen-allowed-two-crates-worth-50.html
- Already covered by Dutch Media & GreenPeace: