|Skills||Networking, climbing roofs|
We want to connect extisting networks and fellow people, groups, communities together by Wifi links over 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz
Stuff needed for roof-antennas
Connection to the roof
- PVC-Pipe for putting UTP to the roof
- Managed gbit switch (small netgear?)
on the roof
- ubiguity 5.8 bridge
connection to wireless leiden
We have done measurements, and connecting to Leiden seems most feasable. This'll be done over 5.8ghz.
Some notes on hardware
- coax-cable == loss, especially on 5.8ghz, so this is to be avoided.
- 5.8ghz is less noisy as 2.4ghz, 2.4ghz is slightly more available and cheaper
- there is some hardware available in the hands of members, but for certain links(long-hauls) an investment might be worth is.
- profesional (but some of them still open) hardware can be gotten between about 100-200 euros per set.
- you don't want to be the highest point in the area / on the building (lightning risks).