Together with our resident Mofo from Urban Resort, we've saved up a ton of printers/scanners and other stuff that combines the glory of electronics with the hell of mechanical failure.
The reason we collected this stuff is to have a way to demolish a lot of hardware, for 'Fun and Profit' (tm).
The idea is to look at how these things have been put together and to show people just what kind of fun stuff can be salvaged for re-use from these types of hardware.
What we'll do:
- Take stuff apart
- Inspect how it works (Justa and others will explain the innards)
- Smash up the remains with a baseball bat.
Those who have seen the movie 'Office Space' will know just why this event is called 'Office Space Party' ;) If not, go watch the infamous printer-smashing scene !
The event is planned to be held in the 'courtyard' (downstairs from the AuxSpace, so to speak). We'll have drinks and music. If you have some old printer/scanner/whatever that you'd like to take apart for learning about electronics/mechanics, please bring it !
Expect to learn about:
- Stepper motors (3-phase, bi-polar)
- Stepper drivers
- Quadrature-encoders + Servo-control-loops
- Laserprinter optics
- Optical interrupt-sensors (endstops/positioning)
- Basic Switched-mode power-supply info
- Fuser/Toner tech
Please let me know if you're coming, below:
- ultratux (maybe, time permitting)