ALV 2014 January

From Technologia Incognita
Jump to: navigation, search
ALV 2014 January
Date 2014/01/26
Time
Location ACTA
Type Meeting
Contact Board

Contents

Practical Details

Date: 26th January 2014 (Sunday)

Place: (h)ACTA

Time: 3 PM

Proxy Voting Form : File:Generic proxy vote techinc.pdf

Agenda

  • Chair, minute taker, # members present, # proxy votes, handing out voting post-it's
  • Approving the notes from the previous meeting ALV_2013_10_27_shorter_notes (based on the longer minutes ALV_2013_10_27_minutes )
  • Finalising agenda (any new points?)
  • Financial report from ex-treasurer about 2012
  • Notes from the board (At least: Abraham, HXX loan, CCC, Work on administration system, LDAP?, Digitalising ID cards, Doorbot project?)
    • Financial report about 2013
    • Report from the secretary on current number of members (on paper) and estimated number of still-current ("actual"/"paying") members.
    • Financial outlook on 2014 ( Including recommendation on moving )
    • Statement of board how many people pay the "suggested minimum" amount (or very close to that) or less.
  • Voting for new board members.
  • Votable points.
  • Defence of a banned member (Wizzup: I suggest to handle this whenever Abraham joins us, we finish the current point and then handle this one, to afterwards resume the normal course)
  • Any other business.


Defence of a banned member

Contact: Wizzup

Should Abraham show up at the ALV - he has expressed interest to do so - we must hear his defence and decide if we want to reverse of amend the decision made by the board. If he is at the ALV, the following will happen:

  • A representative from the board (or someone from the board) will present the situation to the members and Abraham. A summary is given below.
  • Abraham will then be allowed to defend himself
  • The representative can react to Abraham's defence.
  • The members can decide (if needed) upon a further course of action.

Suggestions for a further course of action: [If any has a majority vote, do not go for the rest of the votes]

  • Enforcing the previously chosen course of action.
  • Abraham being allowed to enter -only- on socials, as nonmember.
  • Abraham being allowed as a member, but have no keys [similar to the above, but has membership benefits]
  • Abraham being allowed in the space as long as there is another member.
  • Revert the previous decision of the board completely.

Summary of what will be presented at the ALV:

In short, Abraham is not permitted in the space anymore. As member or non-member. This decision was made because he has shown repeated ignorance to our rules which eventually led to complaints from other renters in the building and complains from Urban Resort, our landlords.

Board member candidates

Contact: Wizzup, The board

The following people have shown interest via the mailing list:

  • Control-K
  • brainsmoke

Votable Points

0 Moving

Contact: User:Control-K

Two plans for adding more hacking space are on the table right now:

  • Add space behind the beamer wall to ours
  • move to WG building

more details can be found at the Space_Requirements/Location_Proposals page. Note: if we stay at ACTA and rent the adjoining space, we can relinquish the storage space to decrease our total rent by ~100 euros.

The voting procedure we will follow is the one described by ArdaXi in the pertaining email thread on January 2: "Instant-runoff" voting.

This is as follows:

We have ballots made for all attendees of the ALV. At voting time, everyone fills in a ballot with their preferences. The ballots look like this. [] Move to WG [] Expand at ACTA [] No change Everyone numbers these in order or preference, for example: [3] Move to WG [1] Expand at ACTA [2] No change Meaning this person would prefer to expand at ACTA, but if that doesn't happen they would still not want to move to WG.

To count these, the ballots are sorted into three piles according to their first choice and counted. If any one of these piles constitutes a majority (>50% of all ballots) it is elected. If not, the smallest pile is distributed over the other two according to the second choices. Then, the biggest pile is elected.

Options:

  • Add extra 46m2 behind the beamer wall to our space
  • Move to the WG building
  • None of the above

The result of the vote cast should be made available to all parties shortly after the ALV: Urban Resort and WG.

1 Membership fee per month

Article 7.3 from our statutes allows the ALV to decide that members are allowed to pay their membership fee on a monthly basis instead of the standard yearly basis.

The following point will be voted upon with a yes/no vote, if the vote passes, it will be added to the huishoudelijk regelement:

 Members can choose to pay their membership fee yearly or per month. If they
 choose to pay per month they must pay before the 7th of the month they pay
 their membership fees for.

2 Commitment to membership fee

Contact: a&b: webmind c: ultratux


2a Vote

The following point will only be needed if points 2b or 2c pass, however it is voted upon first. The following point will be voted upon with a yes/no vote, if the vote passes, it will be added to the huishoudelijk regelement:

 Any member can request a change of his or her membership fee throughout the year, but will have to provide valid reason to the board.
 Valid reasons can be, but are not necessarily limited to: moving house/job relocation/getting fired/unforeseeable financial setbacks.
 Ultimately it is at the board's discretion. The board is expected not to accept trivial or fabricated reasons as valid justification.


2b Vote

To get a clearer view on our finances we can ask our members to commit to a membership fee for the coming year.

The following point will be voted upon with a yes/no vote, if the vote passes, it will be added to the huishoudelijk regelement:

  On joining techinc a person will commit to a certain membership-fee
  and communicate this to the board. If the member wishes to
  change his/her commitment he/she can do this in the first two weeks of the new
  calender-year.

2c Vote

If point 1 passes it is also important to know if a member is paying on yearly basis or monthly basis. If point 1 fails the following point will not be voted upon

The following point will be voted upon with a yes/no vote, if the vote passes, it will be added to the huishoudelijk regelement:

  On joining techinc a person will commit to either yearly payments of the membership-fee or monthly 
  payments. If the member wishes to change his/her commitment he/she can do this in the first two weeks of 
  the new calendar-year.


3 Membership for existing members

If one of the three votes from point 2 passes, existing members should commit to a membership-fee/payment period and inform the board of this. If point 2 fails the following point will not be voted upon.

The following point will be voted upon with a yes/no vote, if the vote passes, it will be added to the huishoudelijk regelement:

 Members registered before 26-01-2014 will inform the board of their
 membership-fee-commitment before a date to be set and communicated to the mailinglist by the board.


4 Non paying members

Contact: Control-K

At the moment nothing happens when a member stops paying. To get a better overview of our members and make sure people don't just forget to pay while they want to, the following is proposed.

The following point will be voted upon with a yes/no vote, if the vote passes, it will be added to the huishoudelijk regelement:

 * When a payment is missed, an automated email will be send to the member with a reminder.
 * If after a month the payment is still due, a board member will try to personally contact the member.
 * If after 2 months the payment is still due, your fob will be disabled and an other email will be send by the board.
 * If after 3 months the payment is still due, you will no longer be a member.

To clarify, if you miss your payment for november (witch was due on the 7th of november) a mail will be send that day. Than on the 7th of december personal contact will be sought by the board. On the 7th of january your fob will be disabled. On the 7th of february you will no longer be a member anymore.


5 Warning system and revoking membership

The following point will be voted upon with a yes/no vote, if the vote passes, it will be added to the huishoudelijk regelement:

 When a member has been disruptive to the community (and the board have recevied a formal complaint) they will get a warning from the board.
 When three warnings have been given to a member (for different types of disruption) their access privileges will be revoked.
 When a member has repeated the same disruptive behaviour that warranted a warning, a second warning will be deemed enough to revoke access privileges.

This has been the process used recently for dealing with these types of issues.

6 Making the established rules part of the huishoudelijk reglement to ratify them

Contact: ultratux

Our rules, as published on the wiki since $date, shall from now on become part of the huishoudelijk reglement.


The following 'rules' will be voted on with a yes/no vote and if voted yes will be added to the Huishoudelijke Regelement:

 Do not be on fire
 Don't use power tools unless you've had a safety briefing on them first. Don't defeat or hack safety features/equipment. 
 Concerning major activities, or future events ask the community. If you have a question or in any way in doubt about something, ask the              
 community. 
 The primary means for communication is the general mailing list. 
 If something is broken, fix it; Don't complain.
 Upon leaving, clean your spot and the spot next to you; leave it more excellent than how you found it. Return all tools to their proper   
 location.
 Respect fellow members, their privacy and their possessions.
 No sleeping in the space.
 Members are allowed to store some personal items in the space, but they must be kept in a members box, labelled with your name. 
 One box per member. Empty boxes may be recycled for other members if needed.
 All items not in members boxes must be labelled with a "Do Not Hack" sticker indicating the owner and an expiry period.


Based on the 'rules' at Rules

7 Dispute Resolution Group

Currently disputes between members are decided upon entirely by the board. It would be useful to have a (small) group of members who could deal with these items and make recommendations to the board about what actions should be taken. This group should be elected by the members, based on people nominating themselves for the positions. Suggested size: 3 members.

The following point if accepted with a yes/no vote will be added to the house rules:

 A group of members will be formed to deal with internal member disputes, they will make recommendations to the board about what disciplinary     
 actions should be taken. This group will consist of 3 members who are voted for based on nominations at an ALV.


8 Fixed Annual ALV

The following point if accepted with a yes/no vote will be added to the house rules:

 There should be an annual fixed ALV at the start of each year (in January) which will occur annually regardless of anyone calling for an   
 ALV. The date will be published on the wiki and mailing list at least 2 months in advance of the date.

This will make it easier for us to deal with annual issues such as financial reports, possible board term limits and elections and other annual stuff.

9 Political Parties

This item if accepted by a yes/no vote will be added to the huishoudelijkeregelement:

 Political parties are not welcome at the space, however individuals are welcome regardless of their politics.

10 Access to the space

The following point if accepted with a yes/no vote will be added to the house rules:

    All members with access-privileges are always welcome in the space, regardless of the event being held.

Minutes

Chair: A.P.Marijnessen minute taker: Vesna

ALV starts at 15:13, at that time 28 members present; majority is 15

Moving the point about "defence of a banned member" to the first point.

Defence of a banned member

Contact: Wizzup

Wizzup tells the story, from the side of the board.(UR = Urban Resort, our landlord)
Justa explains again.

15:19 (29 people, 15 needed for majority)

Abraham tells the story from his PoV. Personal situation; about the sleeping issue... Q: can the decision be revoked? Yes. OK, Abraham tells his version. Makes a point abou difference between sleeping or napping. Questions to ask, comments? 
Reactions from Wizzup & Justa... 
Wizzup explains voting points. 
Remco: are you interested in the hackerspace things, to take part, or just to hang out? (Rep explains Remco's point... from his PoV...) 
Wizzup: if UR decides Abraham is not welcome... we can't do anything... 
Putting the voting points in reverse order: 
*Revert the previous decision of the board completely.
*Abraham being allowed as a member, but have no keys [similar to the above, but has membership benefits]
*Abraham being allowed in the space as long as there is another member. (no keys)
*Abraham being allowed to enter -only- on socials, as nonmember.
*Enforcing the previously chosen course of action. (ban) 
Stef: two stories, difficult to judge. I'd like to not exclude anyone. Can we say "we will start, and then evaluate, after some time"  
Justa: this can always be put in the next ALV. 

Majority will be decided not on the total number of present, but out of "yes"/"no" votes. (15:30 was 30 members!)

Voting

VOTE: Revert the previous decision of the board completely
RESULT: yes 0, no 23, abstain 6 (missing 1)

VOTE: Abraham being allowed as a member, but have no keys [similar to the above, but has membership benefits]
RESULT: yes 16 (no more)

(we skip other points)

Abraham gets a vote paper... (So from now on we have 31 votes I think?)

Approving the notes from the previous meeting ALV_2013_10_27_shorter_notes (based on the longer minutes ALV_2013_10_27_minutes )

Approved.

Finalising agenda (any new points?)

Literal texts are important, but if one word needs changing that should be allowed. Based on need or pragmatism.

Financial report from ex-treasurer about 2012

Not here. MadEddie. Not happening. Activity from 2012 still has to be approved by ALV.
New treasurer & his shadow are working on the report themselves. Will be ready Real Soon Now™.

Notes from the board (At least: Abraham, HXX loan, CCC, Work on administration system, LDAP?, Digitalising ID cards, Doorbot project?)

Justa gives short report. Abraham's case dealt with; HXX loan for borg had to be paid back; new loan was given to TechInc by Vesna; all administration with this is done now.

Philip: how come that there was a confusion about 1800/2000 amount? 
Can we have the financial report longer before  the ALV? Yes. 

CCC - we were present there, but it was not a "board" thing. Spacenet. Digitalisation project is progressing (ID's are mandatory for us to keep, by UR). Doorbot project is in progress. Power-bars project done. (thanks to the unnamed person using pink colour to correct spelling mistakes ;-)

Financial report about 2013

It was emailed to the list. Wizzup is going to read it. (TODO: let's put this on the wiki!) NOTE to all: subscribe to the mailing list; read the mailing list. 99 members! => NEXT NEW MEMBER will be NUMBER 100 Philip: people who pay 0 should be included in the numbers. More irrelevant comments from the membership...

Report from the secretary on current number of members (on paper) and estimated number of still-current ("actual"/"paying") members.

(covered by Wizzup in his financial report)

Financial outlook on 2014 ( Including recommendation on moving )

Wizzup: estimated income: as sent in email.

Q: Why is the November amount lower? ("where did you lose the money in November"? ;-) 
A: We maybe lost few members... 

Plans for WG: 2000/month cost, 1600 income. Gap: 400/month. There is a pledge running... to pay extra... for a while. Without using savings.

Q: Does 2000 include water, electricity, ... 
A: Yes. 

(16:20 31 members in total. majority: 16)

Statement of board how many people pay the "suggested minimum" amount (or very close to that) or less.

(covered by Wizzup in his financial report)

Let's form the committee to control the Financial report: Philip, Paul, Merielle, Maarten.

Q: How many people canceled membership? 
A: 10

Philip: can you add how many funds board spent on "daily running" of the space, in the report?

A: 15 in total. 
Q: Money from donations?
A: We don't know... This is outside of the administration, it's voluntary donations, spent on drinks & food.
Q: Were the members' boxes of those who canceled taken back? 
A: Maybe ... A lot of them didn't have boxes

Voting for new board members.

Standing applause for the leaving board members, Marc and Melinda! Presenting themselves: Ctrl-K. Brainsmoke. Voting results: both were accepted. Applause. (BREAK for all the other people...) Several people left, made "proxy votes" for others; one extra person...)

Votable points.

0 Moving

Remco explains about ACTA building possibilities and future. Lecture room will be refurbished, 150 seats, possible to use ... From time to time other spaces get freed up... Wizzup: intro to WG terein: 340m2, plus very tall ceiling. (?!) Price: 2000. We are not sure if we can even get the space, since there are other interested parties. WG-commission will decide between 3 finalists. Description by Chottee & Wizzup & Justa about the facilities...

Q: Risks? 
A: Can we afford it? How many members will we get extra, and how many will we lose? 
Q: Will we go bankrupt? 
A: Not that fast. 
Q: Terms of the contract - how long is the cancelation period? 
A: We will have to ask tomorrow? 
Q: There is no fiber? 
A: No, but there are possibilities... 
Q: What kind of the Internet
A: Will ask...
Q: What kind of contract will we get?
A: Don't know. 
Maarten: place is high, what about scaffolding? Philip has it, to lend. 

Moving means a lot of re-doing infrastructure, and it means extra costs. For few months, will we have double rent? One or two months. WG will rent it to us from March. (TODO: All those questions need to be asked on Monday, from the committee!)

Peter: Pledge system: let's ask in advance, do not just go for it and ask later.
Justa: let's make a plan, and get people to commit to doing the work. 

WG pics:

   http://www.sociallife.org/data/wg-wide/
   https://www.dropbox.com/sh/khynbabvdivm83j/WH2ZUQQlo0

Acta2: 46m2 (but lose the storage space); has a kitchenette; a window too. Concrete beam. We can make a door in between. (can we build the wall in front?) 1600 e/month total. About 500.

(17:22 33 members; 17 majority)

If there is no 50%+ that option falls off.

first pref: wg: 22 acta++: 13 none: ?

second preference:

   acta++ (beamer) : 18 
Justa: we WILL need people to organise THE MOVE! 
Marteen: What if WG terein has terms that we can no accept? 
A: Wizzup: Shall we form a comittee to decide on the WG terein offer? 

Committee: (in addition to the board...) Philip, Peter, Stef, Ctrl-K, Chottee, JinX, Erwin, Voidz0r, Maarten, Abraham. ON MONDAY, TUESDAY & WEDNESDAY. Email in IRL.

we managed to agree on a method to order pizza. it took 10 mins. #techinc forever.

1 Membership fee per month

(18:00 one person left. )

Vote: Split into 1a) & 1b) and 1c) 1a) Possible to pay monthly. Inclusion of possibility to pay monthly. Majority for yes. Two trolls for no. 1b) Before the 7th.. Unless board allows exception.

Result: Yes 26. No 3. Abst 3.

This will be added to the wiki pages: payments, rules, etc.

2 Commitment to membership fee

Contact: c&b: webmind a: ultratux

Very complex, adds clarity but on the expense of too much work on the treasurer, and lots of restrictions on members. ArdaXi: board can not make any predictions, so this would make it easier. Webmind's intention was to make members to make commitments. He is not here to defend it.

VOTE:

RESULT: 2a: yes 14 no 10 abstainees 6 (32) -> passes because it had more yes then no. 2b: yes 7 no (more) -> rejected 2c: yes 5 no (overwhelming majority) -> rejected

3 Membership for existing members

majority against. Asking to vote again: reconsider 2a: drop it? yes (majority)

(WE HAVE JUST LOST HALF AN HOUR OF OUR LIVES FOR 30 PEOPLE, voting on the points that are later voted out) The spirit of techinc \o/

4 Non paying members

(TODO: rename "the payment" to "... whatever" -- all the missing payments?? -. DREAMER! "what you are due") TODO: rename "you will receive an email" instead of "automated email" yes: 22 no: (neve mind)

5 Warning system and revoking membership access privileges

This in no way takes away rights of members to complain about this treatment, bring issues to ALV etc.

RESULT: Passed

6 Making the established rules part of the huishoudelijk reglement to ratify them

ultratux thinks it's not written up in good enough language. big discussion. voting on the spirit of the point. Vote: Our rules, as published on the wiki since $date, shall from now on become part of the huishoudelijk reglement.

Vote: Do not be on fire Result: yes: 16 no: 9 abstain: 6

Vote: Don't use power tools unless you've had a safety briefing on them first. Don't defeat or hack safety features/equipment. Result: yes: 26 no: 5

Vote: Concerning major activities, or future events ask the community. If you have a question or in any way in doubt about something, ask the community. Result: yes: 2 no: majority


Vote: The primary means for communication is the general mailing list. Justa proposes of the rephrase of the text. Official .. of the association... towards members... Result:

There is an announce list, but no one has subscribe to it Vote no to 3 so that next ALV we can pepare this point better: Vote result for the question 'in favour of skipping this, put up your hands: 25 in favour, pint revoked Discussion about the lack of discussion on the mailinglist. Everybody is asked to respond on points before the ALV so that it does not take so long. Discussion about the time of closing the exact phrasing of the agenda.

4. not agreed 5. upon leaving - not agreed 6. respect fellow members - agreed

Stef question: what is a huishoudelijk reglement
http://www.verenigingen.nl/wat-is-een-huishoudelijk-reglement-en-wat-moet-erin-staan--3816858.html

7. no sleeping in the place - agreed 8. storage - the point will be dropped and rephrased in next ALV

7 Dispute Resolution Group

Do we want a Dispute resolution group? should be 3 persons according to the proposal approved on ALV Group has no power but gives heavy weighting advise (but would be bad for the board if they do not hear the group).

Maarten: no real reason to do this.
Arnd: what is you have a compliant about the board itself? Then this could be important

Abraham would like to rephrase it to a mediator group that should try to prevent escalations

Break because of pizza (thanks for arranging ..!)

20:25 resume the meeting still ?27? votes left, less people voidz0r wants bigger group fe 6 persons

Arnd: board should not be choosing the group

next alv make this clearer were not going to vote on people now who want to do this : next alv but now first vote on the actual proposed point

adopting dispute group in favour 29 so agreed next ALV we vote for people

8 Fixed Annual ALV

There is already an annual meeting needed for the financial approval as stated in the statutes Might be handy to have a yearly fixed date for choosing board members The proposal says ' we want a fixe date' (even if there is nothing to discuss) Vote: 14 yes 13 no 3 abstain So The board will announce an ALV in January 2015

9 Political Parties

pirate party wanted to do something in our space caused discussion what do we want? current phrase is very strict in opinion of several people would exclude even inviting people from parties to take part in discussions in favour: 6 against: majority => agreed. this will not be part of the huishoudelijk reglement

10 Access to the space

are all members always welcome in the space? fe tv crew made that you could not work in the space fe during food hacking could you be in the space without taking part in the food hacking fe women only meeting vote: 12 favour, 12 against, 1 abstain. Rejected


Extra points

   - realigaps: weekly meetings to get stuff done. Half an hour, minutes published. On Sunday. Taking resposibility to get stuff done
     - justa also take points for the agenda there
     
   - tg: assign proxy electronically
       - justa: this has happened today 
   - phicoh: quorum for agenda point?
     - nods, work on it
     - abraham: finds it a weird requirement. Other associations don't do it.
     - justa's VVE does something like that. Also has a bewonersraad to prepare agenda items
     - chotee: if you can't find 5 out of 40 people.
     - realigaps doesn't want to force this
     - abraham: could be 'vetoing'. Somebody could still bring an interesting point.
       - rob and justa: not a veto
     - ultratux: either on the mailing list or votes
       - justa: not the time to hash out details
       - ultratux: may be the board should split ALVs
   - Stef: end time for ALVs
     - wizzup: you can't limit to amount of agenda points. Time to discuss ill formed agenda points.
     - justa: reason for allowing ill formed agenda points. Three committees produced nothing. I wanted to do something painfull to get something done
     - rob: agrees with justa.
   - abraham: wants to be back on the members. Solution: resubscribe
   - rob: suspend point if proponent isn't there?
   - wizzup: better transparency on financials?
     - dreamer: raw data

Justa closed the meeting.

Actions

ALV_2014_January_actions